Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Disconnecting shock sensor.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disconnecting shock sensor.

Can anyone tell me if the small shock sensor can be safely disconnected without screwing with the vats?

Also, if the security system is set off what are the ways to disable it or turn it off? Thx.

Ps- i do not have the key fob or original doors. Thx again.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Yes, the shock sensor can be unplugged with no other effect than disabling shock detection for the alarm system. In fact, the shock sensor tends to suffer from moisture intrusion causing false alarms and unplugging the sensor is the common solution.

Once the alarm has been triggered, it can be deactivated with the key fob or by turning on the ignition using the key that matches the VATS resistor value.

What doors you have makes no difference. You can buy replacement fobs at the dealer or on eBay and match them to the alarm system.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes, the shock sensor can be unplugged with no other effect than disabling shock detection for the alarm system. In fact, the shock sensor tends to suffer from moisture intrusion causing false alarms and unplugging the sensor is the common solution.

Once the alarm has been triggered, it can be deactivated with the key fob or by turning on the ignition using the key that matches the VATS resistor value.

What doors you have makes no difference. You can buy replacement fobs at the dealer or on eBay and match them to the alarm system.
Excellent info. Thanks!!
Old 10-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Teching In

is there any other way to disable the factory alarm. I locked the door on my 2000 Camaro z28 and it armed the alarm now it will not turn off. tried unplugging the shock sensor and alarm still goes off when I turn key forward in ignition
Old 10-17-2014, 07:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by totemastergsxr
is there any other way to disable the factory alarm. I locked the door on my 2000 Camaro z28 and it armed the alarm now it will not turn off. tried unplugging the shock sensor and alarm still goes off when I turn key forward in ignition
The instructions for disabling the factory alarm are in your owner's manual and posted here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...hen-start.html.

If you have the correct ignition key for the car, merely turning the ignition to the ON position will disarm the alarm and stop the horn honking and light flashing. The alarm will not arm as long as you don't use the power locks to lock the car (use the manual slide lock or lock with the key from outside) unless someone foolishly programmed it to passively arm.

The best answer is to buy yourself a key fob, program match it to the car and then use the alarm and keyless entry as they were intended.

Quick Reply: Disconnecting shock sensor.