Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Body Control modual question, no Interior lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Body Control modual question, no Interior lights

Long story short. I was welding a mount for a bottle bracket in the trunk on my 02 convertable and didn't unhook the battery Got in the car to pull it out of the shop and noticed the radio would not come on. Figured out that if the the key was on and engine off you could turn it on, Then start it. This was years ago and the interir lights would come and go. Now the radio works the same way sometimes, No interior light works(not even the morror lights) The power door locks dont work(not even witht he fob, However the fob will arm the alarm. Im thinkning BCM. You can hear it click and carry on when it is running. Anysuggstions? If it is the BCm will it have to be programmed or can I find a 02 Z BCm either converable of hard top from a junk yard?
Thanks Fellas
Old 10-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Moving to electrical.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It certainly sounds like the BCM is faulty. There is some information on replacing with a used one here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...will-work.html (basically don't do it unless you want to spend some time getting VATS to allow the car to start again).
Old 10-06-2014, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I found part of the problem. The tab in the fuse panel for the door locks/dome lights was broke. Bent the other tab to amek contact and it has been working. radio is still screwed however.
So do I buy a used one or buy a new one and have it programmed?Does anyone do that besides a dealer?
Old 10-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

A new BCM does not require any "programming" as such. It programs itself automatically to match the first key used to start the car after installation. So all you have to do is install the new BCM, put your key in the ignition, turn the ignition on for a couple of seconds and then start the car. I would not pay a dealer to do that.

A used BCM, on the other hand, cannot be reprogrammed to match another key. If you install a used BCM, you will have to determine what key resistance value it is expecting and either get a matching key or use that value for a VATS bypass in order to start the car.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by waltsfastz
So do I buy a used one or buy a new one and have it programmed?Does anyone do that besides a dealer?
There are several companies out there who refurbish and sell used GM radios.

Quick Reply: Body Control modual question, no Interior lights