Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

aftermarket stereo head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket stereo head unit?

So i finally hooked up my newer sps-17c2 alpines in the door and my stock delco cd payer is screwing up. I would love an aftermarket that easily can fit in and mount as well as have mp3/aux ability and mp3 cd or even usb input... i had a clarion back in the day in my old car, but can't spend to much now for it. any ideas
?
Old 10-05-2014, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

sounds like your best bet is a mid level single din Pioneer radio, single din radios require a dash kit, but that kit is only about 20 bucks then of course all radios need the harness adapter, and then around 100-150 for the radio, this would be the easiest, but some don't like the look, you can upgrade the look with a HUmount dash kit but they cost a pretty penny. then there is the more work (or added costs) of doing a double din, that will run you 200-300 on the low end but also need to either buy a double din dash kit from Double D Mods or take the time to modify your dash, this will result in the most stock appearing radio, but takes more effort and time to do.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

damn.. thx for the advice

so just search for firebird hu harness? hopefully won't have to cut and redo wires again...
Old 10-06-2014, 07:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Please read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section. It has the part number for wiring harness adapter as well as the part number for a wire harness repair kit if the factory head unit connectors have been butchered in the past. Installing either adapter is a simple matter of matching the wire colors (red to red, yellow to yellow, etc.) and splicing them together. You can use crimp-on butt connectors or solder and heat shrink.

Pioneer and Alpine used to make 1.5 DIN head units to fit the factory openings of older GM and Chrysler vehicles and some are still available on eBay but they don't have the features like USB input that you're looking for. The Alpine units (CDA-D852) were generally considered junk with flashy face plates but the two Pioneers were pretty good for their time (DEH-47DH and DEH-77DH). You can still get decent used ones for around $50.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

ok ill look again at the monsoon faq for the right harness... so i won't be able to find a 1.5 din that has aux input without paying a bunch? by 1.5 you mean i wount need a mounting bracket for it and just the din connectors right? also, is that wireing harness in the faq an adapter so its plug and play or do i need to wire it also together?

Last edited by unreal1171; 10-06-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

There are three sizes of head unit... single DIN, 1.5 DIN, and double DIN. A single DIN face is about 2" tall and was used for almost all cars in the early days (think 1st generation f-bodies). Double DIN face is about 4" tall and is the most common size in use today in domestic vehicles (and most others as well). 1.5 DIN was an odd-ball size with a 3" tall face that was used starting in the '80s by GM and Chrysler. That size is not used by anyone anymore and there is no current aftermarket support. You can't get a new 1.5 DIN head unit with USB input at any price these days.

The old Pioneer (and Alpine) 1.5 DIN head units can be found fairly cheaply (used) but they don't have modern features. Installation requires an adapter harness and removing the side brackets from the factory radio to fasten the aftermarket HU in its place. Other than that, it just plugs in and slides into place.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There are three sizes of head unit... single DIN, 1.5 DIN, and double DIN. A single DIN face is about 2" tall and was used for almost all cars in the early days (think 1st generation f-bodies). Double DIN face is about 4" tall and is the most common size in use today in domestic vehicles (and most others as well). 1.5 DIN was an odd-ball size with a 3" tall face that was used starting in the '80s by GM and Chrysler. That size is not used by anyone anymore and there is no current aftermarket support. You can't get a new 1.5 DIN head unit with USB input at any price these days.

The old Pioneer (and Alpine) 1.5 DIN head units can be found fairly cheaply (used) but they don't have modern features. Installation requires an adapter harness and removing the side brackets from the factory radio to fasten the aftermarket HU in its place. Other than that, it just plugs in and slides into place.
any examples of those 1.5 din from pioneer and alpine that had the aux in?

yeah i read up on some of that, I understand removing the previous harness, modern features? like what would I be missing? Is it really worth getting a mounting bracket for a single din for those features? the adapter harness is the plug on one side and exposed wires on the other to match up and hook up? is their an adapter that would simply connect the old to a new? I hated the re-wiring part.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, none of them have auxiliary input or MP3 capability. It's up to you whether that is worth a mounting kit ($15) or not.

Yes, the adapter harness is the plug on one side and loose wires on the other. Crutchfield used to sell adapter harnesses with plugs on both ends but that meant stocking different ones for different makes and models of aftermarket head units so they stopped doing it years ago. Connecting a stereo adapter harness is probably one of the most simple wiring jobs you can do on a car so if you are uncomfortable with that, perhaps you should have a professional installer do it for you.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

ok, i could deal with splicing in the wires i guess, but what would be the cheapest with bluetoot or at least a aux cable input, 1 din or 1.5, plus the harness kit if needed. What would you recommend for the easiest to install? thx for all the help. I have the coupe 2001 not monsoon setup, put in some alpine sps-17c2 in the doors and stock in the back is there.

also, what would use the alpine sps-17c2 speakers to the max since they are not moded for the amp, (no monsoon)

Last edited by unreal1171; 10-06-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Unless you have a six cylinder, you have a Monsoon system in a 2001 coupe... all Z28s came with it that year. But it doesn't matter because the head unit is exactly the same in either case.

Any single DIN HU will be the same amount of work to install. The basic mount kit will run about $15 and the adapter wiring harness ranges from $4.50 on Amazon to $20 at Best Buy (same part).

Any decent head unit will work with those speakers. Look for a brand name like Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine or Sony (possibly JVC), select a couple of models that you like the features and price then go to a local store and check them out. Generally Pioneer has the best FM tuner section, Kenwood has great features, Alpine has lots of bling, and Sony has the best CD player (they invented the format).
Old 10-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

i do have the 6 cylinder, not formula or tans-am. but ok, thx for all the help! ill start the reseach
Old 10-06-2014, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, none of them have auxiliary input or MP3 capability. It's up to you whether that is worth a mounting kit ($15) or not.

Yes, the adapter harness is the plug on one side and loose wires on the other. Crutchfield used to sell adapter harnesses with plugs on both ends but that meant stocking different ones for different makes and models of aftermarket head units so they stopped doing it years ago. Connecting a stereo adapter harness is probably one of the most simple wiring jobs you can do on a car so if you are uncomfortable with that, perhaps you should have a professional installer do it for you.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't those (47 and 77) support the use of an Pioneer CDRB10, which plugged into the IP-bus port and gave you a red/white rca audio input, which is easy enough to get a cable that goes from RCA audio to headphone jack, I know I used this setup for years in past vehicles, before I got a headunit with a aux-in jack, just can't remember if I ever used it an my 47 I had in my old Tahoe.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

It's been quite a while since I looked at one of those so I had forgotten all about the IP bus adapter. You're quite right... the DEH-77DH is IP bus equipped so it can use the CD-RB10 adapter for auxiliary input. It can also use the GEX-P920XM tuner for XM satellite radio and the CD-I100II adapter for rudimentary iPhone connection.

The CD-RB10 is still available from Amazon at a reasonable price. The other two are outrageously expensive.

BTW, the owner's manual is available from Pioneer as a PDF file: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...s%20Manual.pdf
Old 10-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

so which would be better for me ?
Sony MEXN5000BT
or
Pioneer DEHX6600BT ??
trying to make it as easy to replace as possible with the bluetooth feature and good cd player.
i already know i need
Metra 70-1858 Radio Wiring Harness For GM 88-05 Harness
$4.46
Metra 40-GM10 GM Antenna Adapter$3.85

Metra 99-3301 Installation Multi-Kit for Select 1995-2007

does this seem like the right parts?

Last edited by unreal1171; 10-08-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Personally I would ALWAYS choose a Pioneer over a Sony headunit,
they will both do everything you've asked for in your first post plus the Pioneer for sure supports bluetooth audio streaming (A2DP) (didn't check the sony) so you could do it without wires even, if the device your playing from has bluetooth.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
Personally I would ALWAYS choose a Pioneer over a Sony headunit,
they will both do everything you've asked for in your first post plus the Pioneer for sure supports bluetooth audio streaming (A2DP) (didn't check the sony) so you could do it without wires even, if the device your playing from has bluetooth.
thx, someone offered me the Kenwood KDC-BT645U for a $75, and said I wouldn't need anything besides it to be put in to replace, does that mean no harness or new wiring?
Old 10-08-2014, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by unreal1171
thx, someone offered me the Kenwood KDC-BT645U for a $75, and said I wouldn't need anything besides it to be put in to replace, does that mean no harness or new wiring?
unless it's a used one removed from the same generation car (with everything still wired together) then you will still need the dash kit and wire harness adapters.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

ok, so i have a kenwood on the way, and can't seem to find in search or video's online on where all the screws are to replace it.( to pull out the olf) anyone know of a site or link? or what i should be searching for in these forums? a step by step would greatly help!

thank you in advance.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

nm, found it i believe here http://mods.firebirdv6.com/stereo.html
Old 10-15-2014, 07:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Are you talking about removing and re-installing the head unit? I'm sure it has been mentioned around here a few times but it doesn't get much attention because it is so simple it doesn't really require explanation. Simply pull off the trim panel that surrounds the head unit and A/C controls (it is held on by spring clips - just pry and pull it off) and you will see the three screws that hold the head unit in place (two on one side and only one on the other because there is an alignment pin in the fourth position). Remove the screws (7mm socket) and pull the head unit out far enough to reach behind and unplug the cables then pull it the rest of the way out.

Quick Reply: aftermarket stereo head unit?