Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Repetitive fail of pwr accy fuse only on ignition

Old 11-16-2014, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repetitive fail of pwr accy fuse only on ignition

Hello everyone, Ive been dealing with this problem for months, spent hours on Google and multiple forum sites trying to figure it out...

The pwr accy fuse #7 blows when I turn the key to acc, or to ignition to start my car. If I remove the fuse, then start the car, then re-install the fuse it doesnt pop, the fuse and all electronics on that circuit work fine then. I'm pretty sure I have a short on something that only occurs when you turn the key to acc or ignition. Of all the things on the #7 circuit, nothing throws a flag in my mind(Parking Lamp Relay, Hatch Release Relay, Power Mirror Switch, Radio, Shock Sensor, Instrument Cluster). From another post on this site I gathered that the bcm is responsible for testing multiple warning lights in the gauge cluster upon startup (thanks WHITEBIRD00)!! Could this be my problem; If the bcm is connected to the gauge cluster(I think it is haha)? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

(Car is a 2000 ws6 m6) does have aftermarket head unit but I'm 99% positive that's not the issue.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:48 AM

Bump! Anyone?
Old 11-23-2014, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think that is the one i had an issue with a long time ago when i got the car.. Is that the same one that will take out the instrument cluster when it pops leaving you with nothing... Mine was under warranty and they said a wire was shorted to ground.. have no idea what wire the the thing would pop instantly.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:44 AM

Yeah it takes out the gauges and everything else on the circuit, only on initial ignition though, if I replace the fuse while the car is running then the fuse won't blow
Old 11-24-2014, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would take the cluster out (not hard to do) and have a look around in there, maybe put a new fuse in there and look around in the dash and see if you see a spark when you turn the key. May help if you do it later in the day when its darker..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Repetitive fail of pwr accy fuse only on ignition