Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Front Door Speakers Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon Front Door Speakers Upgrade

Hey like a lot of people my front speakers are shot on my 1998 TA with the monsoon speaker system. I I've been through the stickies on replacing them but I am pretty retarded when it comes to audio. I was looking at getting separate speakers and tweeters or getting a component speaker system. Here are the two options I was looking at getting.
Pioneer TS-A1605C
(non-sponsor link removed)
or
Kicker 40CS674
and Alpine SPS-1005 3/8"

I was wondering if anyone had advice on whether or not these set ups will work and sound good. I am lost as to why the component package has crossovers and what that would be for since the tweeters and speakers are separate. It also tells me I will have to bypass the amp to get a full range of sound which I do not fully understand either? Thanks for any help

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 11-19-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The Pioneer component set will work nicely... the others not so much.

Component sets have crossovers because they are designed to take a single signal (one pair of wires) from the amp and split that signal so that high frequencies go to the tweeter and all other frequencies go to the woofer. A Monsoon system doesn't have this nor can it use one because the signal is separated inside the amp and sent to the components as two separate channels (two pair of wires).

Whoever told you that it is necessary to bypass the Monsoon amp really doesn't know what they're talking about. Just get yourself a good set of components and wire them to the existing separate pairs of wires without using the included crossover and it will work fine.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:11 AM
Teching In

Awesome thank you for the reply! If you don't mind why would the pioneer component set work better if I don't need to use the crossover? Wouldn't that just end up being a woofer and a tweeter like the separate ones?
Old 11-19-2014, 09:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The tweeter you selected is too small for the factory mount and is a titanium design which tends to produce "crisp" highs that many people say are harsh. Something like a silk dome tweeter will give you highs that are smoother. However, there's a very good chance that there's nothing wrong with the factory tweeters. They tend to outlast the other speakers by a significant amount of time.

The Kicker speakers aren't woofers or mids... they're coaxial. That means you are installing a mediocre mid with another tweeter in addition to the separate component one. Unless you really like the high frequencies, that's not going to give you pleasant sound. Component sets like the Pioneer generally have better quality mids than all-in-one speakers like those coaxials.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Alright thanks a ton for the straightforward explanation!

Quick Reply: Monsoon Front Door Speakers Upgrade