Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speedometer reads at 1/3 of actual speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer reads at 1/3 of actual speed

Hey guys, strange problem:

2002 camaro z28 6speed

I think the calibration of my speedometer somehow was reset. I currently have 4.10 gears in my car - the speedometer was previously accurate (post gear change) but has since reset and now runs to a 1/3 of my actual speed. This problem is very annoying and I would appreciate information on how to re-tune the speedo. Multiple mechanics have tried and failed to fix it.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

per your post,the speedo was indicating correct mph after gear change and computer changed to correct for the 4.10s',then all of a sudden mph indication is 1/3 of what it should be ?
has the speed sensor on the tranny tailshaft been changed to check to see if it's the problem ?
Old 02-05-2015, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
per your post,the speedo was indicating correct mph after gear change and computer changed to correct for the 4.10s',then all of a sudden mph indication is 1/3 of what it should be ?
has the speed sensor on the tranny tailshaft been changed to check to see if it's the problem ?
yes the speed sensor on the tranny has been checked/changed, still same problem.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

I would start by connecting an OBD scanner with a live readout and see if the PCM is seeing the proper speed to see whether it's the gauge or something on the computer side.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I would start by connecting an OBD scanner with a live readout and see if the PCM is seeing the proper speed to see whether it's the gauge or something on the computer side.
I have tried to swap the cluster out which did not resolve the issue, so I'm guessing it isn't a gauge issue and is more on the computer side.

I'd really appreciate anyone's input on this issue as I will be traveling overseas soon and need to have my car in a sell-able condition.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

bump for help

Quick Reply: Speedometer reads at 1/3 of actual speed