Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Head Unit Parasitic Power Draw

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon Head Unit Parasitic Power Draw

Installed a 2000 CD type Monsoon HU to replace original 1999 Cassette type on my 99Z and now car dies overnight. Intermittent tho: couple times battery drops to 5 volts in 12 hours, couple times it's lasted 24 hours with no drop at all. Anyhow short story after some troubleshooting based on a lot of good advice on ls1tech it is looking likely to be the replacement HU. It's a refurbished unit off ebay, has the button lights replaced, and a jack installed for iPod - and it's CD instead of cassette. Seems to otherwise work perfect except not holding the response curve setting, always goes back to Jazz.

So I guess questions: any common probs with the Monsoon HU's of the era? Bad caps or? You can use the 12-disc changer with the CD HU right?

I got a brand new set of Kee Audio replacement speakers waiting to install, looking forward to working on that once the dead batt issue is fixed.

Thanks for help, been a member here for years, can usually solve just about any problem by searching but just not turning anything up this time.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I assume you unplugged the radio to confirm its internal?

I haven't heard of systemic issues like this, but at the point someone cracked yours to put in an AUX jack, I would no longer consider I stock.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
I assume you unplugged the radio to confirm its internal?

I haven't heard of systemic issues like this, but at the point someone cracked yours to put in an AUX jack, I would no longer consider I stock.
Yup, radio's been unplugged now a couple days, so far so good. Will leave it another couple days, maybe try putting it back, try the original radio - I will definitely run the problem to ground and report back so the thread's complete for any future searchers.

Good point about the replacement no longer being stock. Thread should be called "Modified Monsoon Head Unit..."

I'm kinda hoping it turns out to be something else, really like the stock look / CD / aux jack thing the replacement has going on.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:59 PM
Teching In

So battery's been fine for 3 days now with the new replacement HU re-installed. Two things different:

1 - I was very careful with the wiring harness this time making sure not to catch it between the HU and the bracket at back. Maybe there was a pinched wire or something before?

2 - I left the 12-disc changer unplugged. I've never used it, has been unplugged in favour of an iPod adapter instead. Out of interest I had it back in for a few days with the old HU while waiting for the new one to arrive and the changer never worked correctly in those few days. Despite numerous resets and cleaning it out, it played ok with some discs sometimes, but was intermittent. The display would almost always say it was playing disc 6 no matter where it really was, it wasn't always possible to skip tracks or change disks, would sometimes get the ERR, sometimes it sounded like it was correctly cycling when powered up, sometime not.

I'll post again if the problem comes back or I decide to troubleshoot further but for now I'm putting it down to pinched wiring harness or something to do with the changer, either it's wiring or the unit itself.

Quick Reply: Monsoon Head Unit Parasitic Power Draw