Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

aftermarket HU crossover with monsoon amp

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket HU crossover with monsoon amp

Okay guys please set me straight here. I have a 2000 camaro with the monsoon system. I have since replaced the factory HU with an alpine cde-hd148bt and all the stock speakers with the level 1 kee audio package. That was about a year ago. As of two weeks ago I added a 10 inch sub in a stealthbox. Now that I have the sub I figured the meager bass coming from the sail panels was pointless and those CDT woofers would be better used outputting full range, so I pulled the wires from the rear hatch speakers and plugged them into my sail panels. I'm trying to set the crossover on the HU to limit the bass coming through the front and rear speakers but they seem to be getting the full range regardless of my selections in the alpine HU. Am I missing something here? If I am filtering at the HU level the amp is only getting the frequencies that pass from the HU right?
Old 02-18-2015, 02:13 AM
Teching In

Nobody, has anything to offer on this?
Old 02-18-2015, 07:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I suspect a lot are like me... scratching their heads and wondering why would anyone do that?

The CDT sail panel speakers you got from Kee Audio are subs - they don't produce full-range sound regardless of the signal you send them and doing so can actually cause damage to the speakers. Not to mention that they handle mid-bass better than a 10" sub so they still provide welcome sound in that range.

The best thing to have done would have been to add the 10" sub for deeper bass but leave the sail panel subs as they were for the mid-bass range.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a driver is going to play whatever signal you send it. Some frequencies better than others, but it'll still play them all. All the filtering is done at the hu or amp. Not directly at the speaker. I see no reason why the 6.5 woofers in the sail panels would have any issue playing the full range. No disrespect intended whitebird. I know you wrote the monsoon FAQ, and very much appreciate your input.

Last edited by giddysauce; 02-19-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:14 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Not exactly. The speaker will attempt to play whatever signal is sent to it. However, speakers have different designs of cones, suspensions, voice coils and other specifications that make them best suited to the type of signal they are designed for. Subwoofers are designed to produce low frequencies which require slower but larger movements of the voice coils and cones. They can't handle the smaller, faster cone movements required for higher frequencies. That's why a subwoofer won't produce higher frequencies even if you send it to them. That's also why crossovers or low pass filters are used to ensure that they don't receive those potentially damaging higher frequencies.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:52 AM
Teching In

Alrighty then, I guess I'll rewire that. Thanks for the help man.

Quick Reply: aftermarket HU crossover with monsoon amp