Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

battery relocation

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 03:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Default battery relocation

Did a search and found lots of individual questions about doing it, but what I was really looking for is a write-up on it. Does one exist and I just missed it or should I just comb though all the old threads and try and piece one together?
Old 03-28-2015, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Well tick performance sells the kit, don't know if it comes with instructions. You can call them.

Battery relocation's been on my to-do list but never got around to it. But essentially you have to take off all the interior trim pieces that lead from passenger foot well where the grommet is to the engine bay, all the way back to the trunk. Pretty straightforward from there, just start laying down wires.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah Ive been wanting to do it since I did my motor swap so I could relocate my coils. The driver sides are where the fuse relays used to be, and the passenger side is where the ECM used to be..........I moved some stuff haha.

Always wanted to do it though to also help with the weight distribution, since i went ironblock. From the few threads that have pictures it seems most people are just attaching the leads to the main battery terminals in the engine bay and running a large gauge wire from there to wherever the batter is being placed.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever complete this? Any insight into your setup?

I also can't find information on a full install and I'm concerned about safety. I have read some put a fuse by the battery in the back.

Not sure where to put this
Old 05-07-2015, 09:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Nope still havnt done it, but looking into it pretty seriously at the moment I have to redo my plug wires since one of them got onto the header on the passenger side, so I want to put the battery in the back so I can set the coils in its place.

When I do mine I may do a write up along with it, I looked at tick performances kit, but I think $300 is a bit expensive and I dont think all of that is needed
Old 05-12-2015, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
Nope still havnt done it, but looking into it pretty seriously at the moment I have to redo my plug wires since one of them got onto the header on the passenger side, so I want to put the battery in the back so I can set the coils in its place.

When I do mine I may do a write up along with it, I looked at tick performances kit, but I think $300 is a bit expensive and I dont think all of that is needed
I went with the Taylor cable Aluminum box relocation kit and just got a couple of in line fuse holders and I think I spent right around 150 for the kit then another $15-20 on the fuses and holders. $300 for a kit that does not include the mount is ridiculous.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:50 PM
TECH Veteran

yeah I looked at taylors kit with just the tray and considered doing it as well

I would think you may need another fender ground with that setup though. than just tie the positive to the terminal under the hood and ground the other section in the engine bay some where
Old 05-12-2015, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah I looked at taylors kit with just the tray and considered doing it as well

I would think you may need another fender ground with that setup though. than just tie the positive to the terminal under the hood and ground the other section in the engine bay some where
I actually had an existing 2 gauge cable that I used for my stereo before that I just converted to a ground cable running to the back of the car and I took the old negative battery terminal and screwed it into the fender.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Funny you mention that I have a 0 gauge running from the positive back to the back but I used a shorter ground wire to hit the plate the rear set belts were mounted on. My back seat is a sloped amp rack wrapped in leather and a Milhouse box. I ran that wire under the chassis and through a gromet on the passenger side where the seats used to mount. This would be easier to mount it under my amp rack honestly but its a tough area to mount anything so I'd rather put it where my spare used to be I think.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Funny you mention that I have a 0 gauge running from the positive back to the back but I used a shorter ground wire to hit the plate the rear set belts were mounted on. My back seat is a sloped amp rack wrapped in leather and a Milhouse box. I ran that wire under the chassis and through a gromet on the passenger side where the seats used to mount. This would be easier to mount it under my amp rack honestly but its a tough area to mount anything so I'd rather put it where my spare used to be I think.
Yeah the spare tire location definitely the best place for the battery... it took quite a bit of persuasion to fit that box in there but was able to get it in there nice and snug.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah I'm just gonna get a junction terminal to tie the positive wires in the bay to the lead to the trunk. Then just fender mount the ground terminal in the bay, and ground the battery in the trunk
Old 05-13-2015, 08:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im trying to decide what ga cable to use for mine. With the battery being that far away from the starter and alternator I am thinking about using 2/0 for my main wire from the battery to the starter. I know there has to be some voltage loss with the cable being that long but I dont know how much. Id rather have overkill than not enough.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:40 AM
TECH Veteran

the tick performance kit consists of 2 gauge for the longest section, if you go with the taylor basic kit with a tray it comes with 2 as well but you have the option to go 1 gauge or a second option for welding cable
Old 05-14-2015, 02:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Just ordered my taylor kit and my junction terminal, should have everything next week so I can start! been wanting to do this for years so its good timing
Old 05-14-2015, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just ordered my taylor kit and my junction terminal, should have everything next week so I can start! been wanting to do this for years so its good timing
are you doing just the tray or the whole box? Either way, post up some picts once completed.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:54 PM
TECH Veteran

im just doing the tray since I dont drag race the car, ill post up and do a short write up that might get stickied for future reference. or atleast make it easier for those that search the topic
Old 05-14-2015, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im just doing the tray since I dont drag race the car, ill post up and do a short write up that might get stickied for future reference. or atleast make it easier for those that search the topic
sweet, that will fit nicely. Do you know where you are going to ground it? I have mine grounded to one of the bolts that holts the bumper on but I want to probably drill in a ground bolt for a better permanent solution but I'm not sure where yet.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Well when I did my stereo I removed my rear seat and the flat plate were the rear seat belts were mounted was an excellent place to ground the amps. I'll probably do the same since I sanded all the paint off that area and there is an existing stud.

That's my plan so we will see how that pans out
Old 05-19-2015, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

christmas came early! everything but the terminals showed up yestarday so I have started.....playing. looks like im gonna need some 90 degree brackets to mount the tray with to get it into that cubby with the tray should be able to use some shelf mounts or something from lowes haha.

Ill start taking pics as I move forward but the ground wire definitely wont reach the spot I had in mind.... Ill figure something out and Im gonna need a terminal that I can run both 1 gauge wires through as well unless i do the terminals at the battery different.

Should be doing a install/write up as well.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in for the write-up i'll be relocating mine soon as well, I have a red top that needs a new home..

Quick Reply: battery relocation