Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Backseat delete speaker box

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 165 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Backseat delete speaker box

Has anyone done this? Seems like someone would have done this already. I could see one box with two 10's and a box on top of that with a set of 6.75" or 6x9 components.

something like this...

Old 03-29-2015, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not like your design, but YES it has been done, BY ME for one and atleast one other car I have had the chance to sit in.

FYI, you DON'T want 6x9's behind you, especially that close to your head it will pull the soundstage to far back.

I started by building a frame from a single 2x4 (the first pic) which later got revised to be just the front section, then I designed the box with forward facing ports, then after a while I redesigned it, removed the existing ports and created a new port firing backward.
Attached Thumbnails Backseat delete speaker box-2013-02-16_18-16-13_145.jpg   Backseat delete speaker box-2013-02-23_18-18-35_687.jpg   Backseat delete speaker box-2013-02-24_18-09-53_238.jpg   Backseat delete speaker box-img_20130506_024411_849.jpg  
Old 04-01-2015, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
Not like your design, but YES it has been done, BY ME for one and atleast one other car I have had the chance to sit in.

FYI, you DON'T want 6x9's behind you, especially that close to your head it will pull the soundstage to far back.

I started by building a frame from a single 2x4 (the first pic) which later got revised to be just the front section, then I designed the box with forward facing ports, then after a while I redesigned it, removed the existing ports and created a new port firing backward.
any completed pics? I'd like to see how it looks in the car.

Where would you put 6.75" components in the back? Just leave the in the sails? I like to feel like the sound is all around me, I'm not into the front staging setups.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FCar2000TA
any completed pics? I'd like to see how it looks in the car.

Where would you put 6.75" components in the back? Just leave the in the sails? I like to feel like the sound is all around me, I'm not into the front staging setups.
I wouldn't put COMPONENTS in the back AT ALL, trust me ANYTHING that does highs AT ALL will just make it sound like everything is coming from the speaker in the sail panel just behind your head and make it next to impossible to balance out, just do the 6.5 midrange or if you have the monsoon amp still in play a set of the Bazooka subs from KeeAudio.com in the sails.

no pics but I do have this video

this is as far as I got with it, I've since yanked it out to put the car back to stock interior so I could sell the car, the ultimate plan was to blend it into the sail panels so it looked like it was meant to be there.

also here are some others, the last one is the one I've sat in, but he had more money in his subs then I had in my entire system at the time.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...eats-subs.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ld-camaro.html
Old 04-01-2015, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I wouldn't put COMPONENTS in the back AT ALL, trust me ANYTHING that does highs AT ALL will just make it sound like everything is coming from the speaker in the sail panel just behind your head and make it next to impossible to balance out, just do the 6.5 midrange or if you have the monsoon amp still in play a set of the Bazooka subs from KeeAudio.com in the sails.

no pics but I do have this video
Firebird rear seat sub box update 6-8-13 - YouTube

this is as far as I got with it, I've since yanked it out to put the car back to stock interior so I could sell the car, the ultimate plan was to blend it into the sail panels so it looked like it was meant to be there.

also here are some others, the last one is the one I've sat in, but he had more money in his subs then I had in my entire system at the time.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...eats-subs.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ld-camaro.html
I tried midbass speakers in the sails on my 2000 TA, and didn't like the sound. I put components there and I liked it much better. Thanks for the vid. Were you going to put the amps in the tunnel space and have fans to keep the air cool?
Old 04-01-2015, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FCar2000TA
I tried midbass speakers in the sails on my 2000 TA, and didn't like the sound. I put components there and I liked it much better. Thanks for the vid. Were you going to put the amps in the tunnel space and have fans to keep the air cool?
I always intended to have the amps right where that one is in the video, but you could mount them in several places, like where the spare tire is.

Quick Reply: Backseat delete speaker box