Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Optima RedTop steaming after drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Optima RedTop steaming after drive

Just installed a new clutch and hydraulics over the weekend, so I'm trying to get the break-in period over with as quick as possible. I drove the car today, about 40 miles total, and heard a hissing sound when I got home. Popped the hood and saw steam coming out of my Optima RedTop battery. The battery died in storage over the winter, so I stuck it on a trickle charger when I got it back into the garage and have been driving it for about a week since then.

I've been reading around, and getting mixed reports. Some say the battery is shot, others say the alternator is overcharging, and some saying it is the fault of a bad voltage regulator.

Where should I start? I don't want to buy a new battery and ruin it because the fault lies elsewhere.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

IT'S SHOT, bet it's giving a NASTY odor and the volt meter is sitting around 12 volts when running too.

same thing happened to the battery in the Trailblazer I bought, the guy left it sitting dead for a week then jumped it off and after noticing the odor during the test drive I spotted the battery hissing and steaming, used it to get him down on his asking price and bought a new battery, been 2 months with the new battery and NO issue since.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Measured the voltage with a multimeter tonight, 12.3V with the car off, 13.8V with the car on. Tried revving and holding the car around 2k RPMs, stayed at 13.8V. So I guess the battery is shot...
Old 05-03-2015, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its shot, I had a Optima that did the same thing

Quick Reply: Optima RedTop steaming after drive