Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help me spend $200 on my stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 03:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me spend $200 on my stereo

I'll start by saying that I am by no means an audiophile. My system as is gets plenty loud, I just want clearer sound. Here's what I've got, and I will not get rid of any of it, so please don't tell me to replace any of it:

Sony MP3 HU with built-in EQ (it's adjustable enough for me)
RF 300W amp
JL 10" sub in sealed enclosure

I listen to jazz/rock/metal and I am a musician, so the sub is there ONLY to enunciate the base chords in the jazz and the bass in everything else. It suits me just fine as is. What I really want is clarity in the mid-upper range without distortion at some harmonics that exists currently with my Monsoon sound system.

I'd guess that replacing the front speakers and the middle speakers (in the backseat) would be the best way to spend my money, but I don't know. I'd really not have to bother with finding a place to put another amp or the install of it, so if that's not the glaring problem, let's avoid it. I really appreciate all of the help!
Old 06-12-2004, 01:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Read one of the two posts "stickied" at the top of this forum.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

looks like you ansered your own question, you want to spend the 200 on speakers, CDT classics ( the others are just WAY to much cash ) Crystal csc, JL xr, Diamond, focal, Image dynamics theres a bunch out there. shop online and check out ebay

Originally Posted by LittleDonny
I'll start by saying that I am by no means an audiophile. My system as is gets plenty loud, I just want clearer sound. Here's what I've got, and I will not get rid of any of it, so please don't tell me to replace any of it:

Sony MP3 HU with built-in EQ (it's adjustable enough for me)
RF 300W amp
JL 10" sub in sealed enclosure

I listen to jazz/rock/metal and I am a musician, so the sub is there ONLY to enunciate the base chords in the jazz and the bass in everything else. It suits me just fine as is. What I really want is clarity in the mid-upper range without distortion at some harmonics that exists currently with my Monsoon sound system.

I'd guess that replacing the front speakers and the middle speakers (in the backseat) would be the best way to spend my money, but I don't know. I'd really not have to bother with finding a place to put another amp or the install of it, so if that's not the glaring problem, let's avoid it. I really appreciate all of the help!