Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Bazooka Subs with New Head Unit

Old 07-31-2015, 11:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bazooka Subs with New Head Unit

Howdy. My Trans Am currently has the Bazooka subs and I was curious, if I decide to replace the current Monsoon head unit, will everything be fine? Would there be some sort of problem? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:17 AM
TECH Addict

the headunit feeds the monsoon amp a signal the amp sends power to the subs, so regardless of the headunit the same amount of power is being sent to the subs. the only thing that should be noted is that while in most other cars you would set the high pass filter (HPF) to filter the bass from the door speakers to prevent distortion, you DO NOT do that on these cars as the amp handles the appropriate filtering and enabling the HPF on the radio will reduce/eliminate output from the subs due to the amount of the subs response range that exists below the typical HPF cut-offs. So yes EVERYTHING will be fine just don't use any HPF's on the new radio.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
the headunit feeds the monsoon amp a signal the amp sends power to the subs, so regardless of the headunit the same amount of power is being sent to the subs. the only thing that should be noted is that while in most other cars you would set the high pass filter (HPF) to filter the bass from the door speakers to prevent distortion, you DO NOT do that on these cars as the amp handles the appropriate filtering and enabling the HPF on the radio will reduce/eliminate output from the subs due to the amount of the subs response range that exists below the typical HPF cut-offs. So yes EVERYTHING will be fine just don't use any HPF's on the new radio.
Thanks! I also plan on replacing the door speakers at some point, does the difference in ohms make a large difference in sound?
Old 08-03-2015, 06:56 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Speaker impedance has absolutely no relationship to sound other than the amount of power (and therefor volume). The sound quality and frequency range will be exactly the same regardless of whether you install 2-ohm, 4-ohm or 8-ohm speakers. Doubling the impedance reduces power by half but half as much power does not mean half the volume. Cutting power in half reduces volume by about 3dB or about one click of the volume **** of a typical aftermarket radio. It takes a ten times reduction in power to cut volume in half.

But there is a lot more involved with the door speakers than just impedance so please read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Speaker impedance has absolutely no relationship to sound other than the amount of power (and therefor volume). The sound quality and frequency range will be exactly the same regardless of whether you install 2-ohm, 4-ohm or 8-ohm speakers. Doubling the impedance reduces power by half but half as much power does not mean half the volume. Cutting power in half reduces volume by about 3dB or about one click of the volume **** of a typical aftermarket radio. It takes a ten times reduction in power to cut volume in half.

But there is a lot more involved with the door speakers than just impedance so please read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.
So if I installed 4 ohm door speakers, would my 2 ohm subs always be louder?
Old 08-03-2015, 08:40 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Pancake1225
So if I installed 4 ohm door speakers, would my 2 ohm subs always be louder?
First of all, Bazooka subs aren't 2-ohm, they're 4-ohm DVC. But even if they were 2-ohm the answer would still be "not necessarily". There are other factors that affect apparent volume of speakers including speaker sensitivity and the difference in perceived volume of low frequencies versus high frequencies. That's what your fader control is for. But all of this is covered in the Monsoon FAQ so please read it.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
First of all, Bazooka subs aren't 2-ohm, they're 4-ohm DVC. But even if they were 2-ohm the answer would still be "not necessarily". There are other factors that affect apparent volume of speakers including speaker sensitivity and the difference in perceived volume of low frequencies versus high frequencies. That's what your fader control is for. But all of this is covered in the Monsoon FAQ so please read it.
Ah I see, thanks for the clarification!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bazooka Subs with New Head Unit