Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Non monsoon speakers replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Non monsoon speakers replacement

Just bought a firebird speakers sound like ****. Has a aftermarket head unit and apparently a non monsoon speaker system. So I have no speaker at all in the hatch area? But I can put some in there? Also regarding the sail and door speaker basically anything that fits will be better than what I have?
Old 09-03-2015, 07:10 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

You don't specify what year Firebird but assuming 97+, it will have W54 or W55 on the option label if it was originally a Monsoon vehicle. But you can easily tell by whether the doors have separate tweeter pods or there are grilles in the hatch area that look like they would cover a 6x9 but actually have 4" round. If those aren't present then the car came with the base 4-speaker system and you can install any 6.5" speakers you prefer.

It would not be a good idea to install hatch speakers in that base setup because it would put full-range speakers behind you in both the sail panels and the hatch area causing the sound stage to be much too far back. It would sound like the old days when everyone was putting 6x9s in their parcel shelf at the back of the car. The Monsoon system avoided that by putting only subs (non-directional) in the sail panels and adding small hatch speakers merely for rear fill.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

it should also be noted the stock speakers in the sails on the 4 speaker setup are like a 10 ohm speaker, most aftermarkets are 2,4 or 8 ohm so you'll have to watch that. I strongly suggest using 8 ohm (if you're just running off the headunit), the reason for that is to make the rears quieter then the fronts before you get into trying to balance and fade, if you go with a 4-ohm in that location it will sound like almost everything is coming from the speaker behind you in the sail panel on the drivers side.

many people go full range in the sails on the 4-speaker setup, but I wouldn't even suggest that, it's just to strong. find you some cheap midrange 8 ohm speakers to throw in there, as that is as close to the stock setup as you can get.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Turns out I do have monsoon, the sails I think may be blown, recommend a good speaker? Iv seen the guy on here with the kits not really wanting to spend a lot right now on this stuff.....
Old 09-03-2015, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01FireTurd
Turns out I do have monsoon, the sails I think may be blown, recommend a good speaker? Iv seen the guy on here with the kits not really wanting to spend a lot right now on this stuff.....
the kits exist for a reason, trying to go cheaper then that is a WASTE of money, as most that have done it can attest to.

if it's just the sails then you can get the bazookas for like 100 bucks, anything cheaper is CRAP or has the wrong number of voice coils.

Quick Reply: Non monsoon speakers replacement