Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

keep burning up flashers wtf?

Old 06-11-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default keep burning up flashers wtf?

about a month or so ago, i finally replaced my screwed up stock (thermal) flasher with an electric one from pep boys. two weeks later or so, turn signals stop working again so i figured i might have gotten a bad flasher or something. replaced it with the same one and here i am again with no turn signals.
whats the deal? el12 flashers so i know theyre correct and the lights are just stock bulbs, says something about a 20A fuse on the bottom of the flasher. anybody know what amp fuse the blinkers are on or where i can get a flasher that will work longer than two weeks?
Old 06-11-2004, 08:42 PM
Teching In

When you install them, do you touch the bulbs with your fingers? From my experience it is better to wear gloves when installing light bulbs, the oil from your fingers heats up the bulb much quicker and it seems more prone to breaking.. I had a similar problem with my rear blinkers.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:11 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by JB_94_z
When you install them, do you touch the bulbs with your fingers? From my experience it is better to wear gloves when installing light bulbs, the oil from your fingers heats up the bulb much quicker and it seems more prone to breaking.. I had a similar problem with my rear blinkers.
True, especially for halogen or other "hot" bulbs. Dont touch them with your bare hands. You will shorten the life of the bulb. Avoid touching the glass. Use clean gloves or a paper towel (what I do) if you need to handle it by the glass. This goes for all halogen bulbs, not just for automotive applications.

but....

He's talking about the flasher unit, not the bulbs. It sounds odd that they are buring up so quickly. There may be a short somewhere.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:07 AM
Teching In

Ahhh, shows how observant I am

Search this Thread