Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Subs stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Subs stopped working

My sail panel Bazooka Subs stopped working.. I checked the fuses related to the audio but those are fine...

Is there a fuse on the amp itself?

I will say that I had a battery in the back and it drained the car after a few days (sat for a while) I jumped it a few times and it would drain out again..

put old battery back up front along with all new Innovative Cables and its fine now... except the Subs dont work..

could all that drainage and jumpstarting kill the amp?

Not sure what else I can check.. I do have a DMM and whatnot.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Monsoon amp is on the RADIO ACCY circuit (25A fuse #4).
Old 02-08-2016, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah I checked that fuse and its fine
Old 02-09-2016, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Alright, several things to check.

Is the amp receiving power? I dun know a whole lot about the hard top audio systems and if there's a separate amp for the subs, but check for power and ground. Next, check the speaker lines and see if you get a.c. voltage. See if it increases with volume.

If no a.c. voltage, you likely have a dead channel in the amp or head unit. If you do have voltage, you likely have a bad connection or a blown sub.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It is unlikely to be the amp causing the problem - at least not a total amp failure - because the Monsoon amp powers all speakers (including the tweeters) in a Camaro system. If the amp had failed or was not getting power, you would have no sound at all.

It is always possible that those specific channels of the amp have failed but not the head unit channels since the sub output is extracted from the standard four channel output of the head unit and your hatch speakers are still working.

It is also possible that you may just have blown speakers. Certainly not my first guess considering they seem to have quit at the same time but it's easy enough to plug in another speaker to see if you get sound. It doesn't have to be another sub... any speaker will do because you're just testing for signal not for sound quality.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did forget to mention that the headunit is a Pioneer DEH-X2600UI that I got from work about a year ago and honestly I think its on the crappier side of the Pioneer units.

I do have the day off today but the car is covered in snow and its not my daily so I will fiddle with it when its nicer out..

I will also check to see if the speakers are getting power but I find it highly unlikely that both subs blew at the same time and the sound isnt really turned up all the way
Old 02-25-2016, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

got another Amp and installed it and that fixed it...

so my old one was kaput
Old 02-26-2016, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

That happens (especially considering how old these amps are). Sometimes a channel just goes dead lol. Glad you got it fixed though.

Quick Reply: Subs stopped working