Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

7" Android Head Unit Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same worry about my pristine dash pad as well. I was able to pop the front area of the dash pad right above the screen up. Since it's just plastic velcro it popped off easily. It was enough to get the GPS antenna under it and run the wire down.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here a picture of my home screen. All widgets. Zooper for time, Weather Underground widget, Torque digital speedo & PowerAmp widget. while I was tinkering I decided to buy a bundle of themes for Torque, figured I'd try a couple out since I had a minute. The Sci-Fi one is weird looking and hard as hell to read. I need to setup my Torque screens instead of using the theme default layout.

I hope finish up my white gauge backlighting this weekend. Just need to remove the red inserts in the HVAC *****, install the shifter plate face and replace the bulbs in the steering wheel controls & TCS buttons. Also need to wire up the convertible top switch for my electronic cutout I just put on.

Name:  IMG_20160404_180031.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  156.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20160404_181322.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  163.9 KB
Old 04-05-2016, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great! I am so pumped to get mine installed.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any thoughts on this HU? http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-Navi-Car...0AAOSwa-dWnc7J

Looks pretty good to me, and only $210 shipped. 8G kinda sucks, but it accepts a SD card, it's compatable with an OBDII dongle and steering wheel controls.

Also for vehicles with no steering wheel controls, or if I decide to ditch the stock wheel/airbag in my TA, I was thinking I'd get one of these bluetooth remotes. They are magnetic, so you could easily stick it to a steel steering wheel, or make a little clip or use velco to stick it on an aluminum wheel.

Amazon.com: Satechi® Bluetooth Button Series (Media Button) for iPhone 6 Plus/6/5S/5C, iPad Air 2/Air/Mini/3/2/1, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge/S6/S5/S4/Note 4/Edge/Pro/Tab Pro, Google Nexus 9/7/6/5, and more: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Satechi® Bluetooth Button Series (Media Button) for iPhone 6 Plus/6/5S/5C, iPad Air 2/Air/Mini/3/2/1, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge/S6/S5/S4/Note 4/Edge/Pro/Tab Pro, Google Nexus 9/7/6/5, and more: Cell Phones & Accessories

Last edited by t_raven; 04-27-2016 at 04:22 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by t_raven
Any thoughts on this HU? http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-Navi-Car...0AAOSwa-dWnc7J

Looks pretty good to me, and only $210 shipped. 8G kinda sucks, but it accepts a SD card, it's compatable with an OBDII dongle and steering wheel controls.

Also for vehicles with no steering wheel controls, or if I decide to ditch the stock wheel/airbag in my TA, I was thinking I'd get one of these bluetooth remotes. They are magnetic, so you could easily stick it to a steel steering wheel, or make a little clip or use velco to stick it on an aluminum wheel.

Amazon.com: Satechi® Bluetooth Button Series (Media Button) for iPhone 6 Plus/6/5S/5C, iPad Air 2/Air/Mini/3/2/1, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge/S6/S5/S4/Note 4/Edge/Pro/Tab Pro, Google Nexus 9/7/6/5, and more: Cell Phones & Accessories
Yeah the dual core and 8gb of space kinda sucks. You're also giving up some screen space since it's a 6.2" and not a 7". But it is almost 2/3 the price too.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

Looks like the one you've got is only $65 more. Not too bad for the features.

After reading some reviews, apparently they only connect to phones and OBD2 dongles via bluetooth? Have you tried to connect to anything else? I'd really like to be able to use that little BT remote, but it's not the end of the world if I can't.

Last edited by t_raven; 04-27-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

This radio looks really cool. Seems like what I was wanting to get before. I had one of those Panasonic AppRadio3. I could never get it to connect to my phone, they only had certain phones that were supported and would never do any updates to include newer phones. That's really my concern with this one. My Note 5 might work today, but when I get my Note 7, will it still be supported.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by t_raven
Looks like the one you've got is only $65 more. Not too bad for the features.

After reading some reviews, apparently they only connect to phones and OBD2 dongles via bluetooth? Have you tried to connect to anything else? I'd really like to be able to use that little BT remote, but it's not the end of the world if I can't.
TBH, if it was me I'd spend the extra $65 for quadcore, 16gb internal and 7" screen. Joying is supposedly on top of updates as well and are planning to release Lollipop update in a couple of months. If you can only hook up 2 BT devices, you could not use the OBD2 and use the remote instead maybe?

Originally Posted by BrittleSpeed
This radio looks really cool. Seems like what I was wanting to get before. I had one of those Panasonic AppRadio3. I could never get it to connect to my phone, they only had certain phones that were supported and would never do any updates to include newer phones. That's really my concern with this one. My Note 5 might work today, but when I get my Note 7, will it still be supported.
I doubt you'd have any problem connecting any phone to the HU, unless you have some really old phone. Any new phones BT will be backwards compatible to whatever version the HU uses.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
TBH, if it was me I'd spend the extra $65 for quadcore, 16gb internal and 7" screen. Joying is supposedly on top of updates as well and are planning to release Lollipop update in a couple of months. If you can only hook up 2 BT devices, you could not use the OBD2 and use the remote instead maybe?
I went ahead and ordered the joying one. From what I read the guy said only phones and OBD2 dongles will connect, but maybe he's wrong. It seems like there are a lot of bad reviews from people who just don't know how to use them lol. I'll just have to see what connects.

Now to decide which Keeaudio speaker package lol.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:43 AM
TECH Regular

My joying HU showed up yesterday, but I'm not currently home to check it out.

I saw in a magazine the other day that Pioneer now has 6 android head units ranging from $700-$1400. Hopefully this is the beginning of the big manufacturers producing them. It'll be interesting to see what's available in 2 or 3 years, and I'm sure the prices will come way down.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/androidauto/

Walmart lists their cheapest at $578.

(non-sponsor link removed)

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 05-05-2016 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's pretty cool, I didn't realize they had so many versions out. I think I still prefer the tablet style of China ones, but just for the customization aspect.

I'm not sure if this was discussed on here yet, but they have a few apps in the Play Store that mimic AndroidAuto if anyone wants to check them out. I tried one, but prefer the regular Android.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

I like the idea of having a physical **** to control volume. Seems petty, but important to me at the same time. Plus those prices are insane in comparison. In reality, I wonder how much better the Pioneers are compared to Joying.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah I like the idea of a **** too, but with steering wheel buttons or a remote on the wheel, then I would care about a ****.

I didn't realize the Pioneer ones are android auto. I like the idea of a regular android OS. The Chinese stuff seems to have some limitations vs a regular tablet, so hopefully there will be better head units in the near future.

I'm under the impression that they shut down and have to boot up every time you cycle the key. It would be nice if they had a battery like a tablet. Mine will last for days just sitting not in use. I wonder if I could wire one in to avoid boot up times every time I turn the car on.

I think it would also be cool if they could be added to a cell plan like a tablet can. That would simplify needing to connect to your phone every time you get in the car.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Theres an option you can change that keeps it in sleep mode for up to 2 hours, so that helps
Old 05-05-2016, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep I think I have mine set for 30min or 60min, it basically just turns off the screen and goes to sleep. When I first had it, I had it set on the lowest setting but just stopping off at the store it'd have to reboot so I changed it.

You should be able to get get a LTE USB from whoever you have your cell phone with and plug it in the rear of the head unit and have data all the time. I sort of want to explore that option myself, would just make it a little easier... Just not sure if it's worth it.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was just going to say you can get a wireless dongle and plug it in to have it on a wireless plan.

Like I mentioned before, tasker can easily toggle the hotspot switch automatically...if your phone is rooted. I am still using a Verizon Samsung S4 that's on Lollipop, and now I can't get root on the damn thing.

EDIT: Woohoo! This made me do a quick search, and I found a recently added way to root. Just completed it and I allegedly have root now. Booyah! I STILL haven't installed mine yet, but it's next on the list. I have the harness and mounting brackets completed, just need to get the PAC programmed and run the antennas/cameras and associated wiring for those.

InfiniteReality - if you don't mind, what tweaks, and in what order? Sounds like you added a couple of things - TTS engine, the steering wheel w/3rd party apps, the Joying firmware update. Any tips/tricks as to what exactly you've installed and in what order?

Last edited by Atrus_SS; 05-06-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

You don't need to root to install the tasker, do you? I'm thinking on some carriers for a mobile hotspot.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope, don't need tasker and don't need root for tasker. I can manually toggle on the hotspot on my Verizon GS4 - no tasker needed. There's a stock app for the hotspot.

I also had Tasker running for some other items without root. Tasker can be installed and do some limited (still very cool) things without root.

To have Tasker trigger the hotspot automatically, though, root IS required on Lollipop. I don't think it is on Kit Kat and prior.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

I've got Verizon as well Note 5 with Lollipop. Guess I will just have to manually enable it. Not that big of a deal.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I unfortantely can't use Tasker on my Nexus 6p to trigger the hotspot. I have remote start so normally I'm a good ways from my car when it starts so my BT doesn't connect automatically. Is there another option in Tasker I could use to trigger the hotspot?

Quick Reply: 7" Android Head Unit Review