Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sealed Beam Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealed Beam Question

Hey guys, I'm looking to put HIDs on my car, I've done it before on my other trans ams, and I'm wondering what sealed beam conversions you guys use now, couple of years ago I used Eurolamps, but I've seen some people talking about Hella, and LMC. Just wondering which I should go with. thanks fellas!
Old 02-11-2016, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

LMC is the straight up swap for a part that is a direct drop in, the Hella is a Projector (technically a halogen projector) and requires an adapter plate (which you can either attempt to build or purchase at a additional cost), but it gives you a proper cutoff that prevents you from BLINDING oncoming traffic, the LMC's are cheaper, but the Hella 60mm projectors are BETTER, but at about twice the cost all in over the LMC's also just an FYI the Hella projectors use a 9005 bulb and the LMC's use a 9006 bulb.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:07 PM
Teching In

alright I appreciate it, have some thinking to do lol
Old 02-16-2016, 04:16 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I have the LMC's and they are 3x better than stock. (In terms of the distance I perceive that I can see.)

The more money you spend, the greater you will think they are - that's human nature. I don't recall seeing any real data on any one of the options to tell if they are "worth it."

I do feel a hell of a lot safer with the LMC's and can see much farther with them.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wssix99
I have the LMC's and they are 3x better than stock. (In terms of the distance I perceive that I can see.)

The more money you spend, the greater you will think they are - that's human nature. I don't recall seeing any real data on any one of the options to tell if they are "worth it."

I do feel a hell of a lot safer with the LMC's and can see much farther with them.
well I've had ALL of them, got a pair of LMC with 6000k HID bulbs sitting in a draw, got the Hella 60mm projectors with 5000k bulbs on the car and previously had the Mini D2S 2.0 (AKA the BLS V2 kit, and the best high beams by far), yes the LMC is far superior to the stock lighting (hell anything is), in terms of brightness, the issue comes with the scatter that blinds the crap out of other people, once you get projectors you see just how bad the scatter is on the LMC's, that said the hard cutoff of a projector does very much limit lighting on things like street signs that are far above the headlights and if you drive in a hilly area I honestly don't suggest Projector headlights due to how the angles limit the spread of the headlights when you drop down between 2 hills and the cut off is pointing only like 20-30 feet in front of the car so you can't see anything. so in short they all have there pros and cons, except the stock lights, they are all cons, no pros.

also I've run the LMC in both halogen and HID configurations, even the halogen is an improvement over the stock lights, but is NOTHING next to the HID.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:38 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I'd recommend sticking with Halogen bulbs if you get the LMC housings.

Also you can upgrade to HIR Halogen bulbs instead of Standard Halogen and get a lot more light without ruining the beam pattern.
9011 replaces 9005
9012 replaces 9006
You can find them on Amazon. Philips and Wagner are the two most common brands currently selling them (GE and Toshiba made earlier generation of them). Avoid fakes (if it has a blue coating, it is fake).
Old 03-09-2016, 11:33 AM
Teching In

I decided to go LED's instead and HIDkitpros offer a 4x6 sealed beam conversion, they look awesome and they are bright as hell!
Old 03-09-2016, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VIP1
I'd recommend sticking with Halogen bulbs if you get the LMC housings.

Also you can upgrade to HIR Halogen bulbs instead of Standard Halogen and get a lot more light without ruining the beam pattern.
9011 replaces 9005
9012 replaces 9006
You can find them on Amazon. Philips and Wagner are the two most common brands currently selling them (GE and Toshiba made earlier generation of them). Avoid fakes (if it has a blue coating, it is fake).
FYI, the Wagners are reboxed Phillips at a few bucks cheaper (again speaking from experience) I did the swap to 9011/9012 on my daily driver 03 Trailblazer.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:24 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
FYI, the Wagners are reboxed Phillips at a few bucks cheaper (again speaking from experience)
Same here. I bought the Wagner on Amazon. They were plain white boxes with Phillips bulbs inside.

Quick Reply: Sealed Beam Question