Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Upgrading Monsoon with Alpine Type-S's and having some issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Upgrading Monsoon with Alpine Type-S's and having some issues.

First of all the car is a 2002 T/A Coupe with Monsoon. I had already replaced the H/U with an Alpine CDE148BT which has been nothing but awesome since I got it, just like my last Alpine H/U, and the one before that. I had also replaced my blown sail panels with Kee Audio's Bazooka's several years ago.

Last night I replaced the door components with Alpine Type-S components (model: SPS-610C), and used the Alpine crossovers from the woofers to the tweeters, not using the monsoon tweeter line at all. I know that the impedance difference causes them to be quieter than the stock ones, but even considering that, they sound like garbage, much, much worse than the stock ones and I'm not sure why. I've been adjusting the slope and frequency and nothing sounds better than the stock speakers did so I'm thinking I need to bite the bullet and go for a 4-channel amp to replace the monsoon but I want to be sure that's my problem before I throw more money at it.

I'm also about to replace the 4" hatch components with a set of Alpine Type-S 5x7 coaxials (model: SPS-517), although I haven't cut the panels and installed them yet.

And I know I probably should have gone with a package from Kee Audio, but honestly the bazookas are kind of lackluster so I ended up getting a 10" sub as well, and this time around I wanted to get speakers that I could definitely amplify later without upgrading again, and the CDT's are always mentioned when discussing upgrading the monsoon system and rarely when discussing going beyond it, so I didn't want to trust a new brand AND get speakers that potentially couldn't handle my future plans.

So what's the verdict? Will a 4-channel amp solve my problem, or are Type-S' not actually better than the stock ones, or did I install them incorrectly? Is there a better way? I have no idea.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a set of the exact same speakers in my camaro and I can assure you its not the speaker unless they're blown lol.
Likely the issue is that the signal is crossed over at the amplifier, so you don't have full range going to your alpines. Your best option is to get a 4ch anuwau, the factory monsoon amp has quite a few issues with distortion even at reasonable volumes, and you don't want that killing your speakers.

The alpine power pack works great with their type s speakers and is really cheap for a 4ch. Not only that but it's rms power is close to stock so it'll have stock volume (roughly).
Old 03-12-2016, 08:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

No, the Monsoon amp does not have distortion problems at reasonable volume unless it's damaged or defective. But it's a moot point because the tweeters in a Firebird are not powered by the amp. They are wired directly to the HU with an inline high-pass filter. I suggest you put aside the Alpine crossovers and just connect the tweeters to the factory wires. I'm willing to bet that will solve the problem.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:18 AM
Launching!

The Monsoon amp has serious distortion problems and it WILL EQ your sound output to tailor to the stock crappy speakers. Take it out and never look back. I did, and I couldn't be happier with the sound output now.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, the Monsoon amp does not have distortion problems at reasonable volume unless it's damaged or defective. But it's a moot point because the tweeters in a Firebird are not powered by the amp. They are wired directly to the HU with an inline high-pass filter. I suggest you put aside the Alpine crossovers and just connect the tweeters to the factory wires. I'm willing to bet that will solve the problem.
I had actually tried that first before installing the crossovers and didn't hear much of a difference.

Originally Posted by EnergyCC
The Monsoon amp has serious distortion problems and it WILL EQ your sound output to tailor to the stock crappy speakers. Take it out and never look back. I did, and I couldn't be happier with the sound output now.
Yeah, that's what I've settled on too. I ordered a nice 4 channel amp this afternoon.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by EnergyCC
The Monsoon amp has serious distortion problems...
You've said that before. Strangely enough, you are the only one to do so. In all the years I've been here, I haven't seen any other poster make such a statement. Seems rather odd that nobody else since 2003 has posted that their Monsoon amp was distorting - I think that's something that would have come up frequently if it was happening.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but in this case it appears to be a minority opinion.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Whoops sorry. You're right, I got the H/U and the amp mixed up. No more late night posting for me lol.

That being said, a new 4ch amp will make a world of difference for you, and I bet those SQ issues go right away with one lol.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HappySalesman
Whoops sorry. You're right, I got the H/U and the amp mixed up. No more late night posting for me lol.

That being said, a new 4ch amp will make a world of difference for you, and I bet those SQ issues go right away with one lol.
This is what I ended up doing and it's a night and day difference. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TallgeeseIV
This is what I ended up doing and it's a night and day difference. Thanks for the advice guys.
Makes sense. Modern amps are a whole lot better than what they were building in the 90s for OEMs (like GM).

Quick Reply: Upgrading Monsoon with Alpine Type-S's and having some issues.