Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Tweeter location options

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tweeter location options

Afternoon everyone,

I've been out of the car stereo world for a while, in fact the last system I put in for myself was in my Cavalier. Unfortunately I have a speaker that's buzzing, so it's time to bite the bullet. I have the Monsoon system, and from what I've read the amp isn't too bad if you don't plan on going overboard, which I'm not. Ultimately I'm planning on putting a new HU, I miss my Sirius XM, and maybe a sub in the cubby, but that isn't a necessity.

Back in 2000 when I had my Camaro I installed the tweeters in q-forms. The difference at that time, I had an Alpine EQ system that helped with the imaging (I know it's not necessary, but I can be picky at times). Unfortunately I no longer have that system, I wish I did, I absolutely loved the Boston Acoustics Pro 6.53 (3 way component system). Alas they are no more, so I'm looking for a solid replacement. My question is this. Realistically the two mounting spots for tweeters would be either the plates that replacement the side mirror or picking up a backup set of windshield pillars and mounting them there.

What are your recommendations? I've done some searches, but the posts are a little aged in terms of speaker choices. I know in the end I could go with Kee, and if I can't find a good recommendation that will be my choice.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Im sorta in the same boat us you. 6LE makes tweeter pods that go in the corner of the door where the side miror panel is, IMO i think it would put the tweet on axis which could be bright depending on the tweets you have, silk domes would work best(i have boston SPZ60s in my truck, tweets in the a pilars and there very bright, almost over powering over the rather beefy mids). I have a set of Macrom M2 comps i wanna use, i think i may mount them in the A pilar moulding as well, theres a flat spot where the tweets would point at each other for a good off axis response, but im sure ill have to clearance the side window defrost duct work behind the panel.

Im ditching the OE amp in favor of a Arc Audio XXD4080 4ch amp. Just figuring out what HU i wanna run, but i have Macrom M2 comps for the front, i set a focal polyglass mids ill run in the rear sails and a focal 12" Access sub ill run in the cubby.

Last edited by TheeCamaroKid; 03-14-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:25 AM
Teching In

I thought about the tweeter pods from 6le, unfortunately the reviews are hit or miss, but the price point is such it's not too big of a hit. My other thought was look for a stereo place in my area and see what they would charge to build me some pods that would attach to the pillars. As far as HU, I've always been an Alpine guy, but there are a few Pioneer and Kenwood that don't look too bad. I'm thinking of something with a video screen, since we have the room. I know Alpine has a pretty cool looking unit that uses Carplay, which would be nice. My wife and I both have iPhones so that would be kinda cool. I would like to have something that links to GPS, since I'm still trying to learn my way around TX, lol. So in a nutshell, I have no clue what HU to get.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:12 AM
Launching!

I just installed mine into the a-pillar, no clearance work needed. I just flush mounted them, using only the grills. No trim rings or support cups, just some adhesive built up to hold them in place. I can post up pics it needed...
Old 03-15-2016, 10:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999nbmZ
I just installed mine into the a-pillar, no clearance work needed. I just flush mounted them, using only the grills. No trim rings or support cups, just some adhesive built up to hold them in place. I can post up pics it needed...
post them pics dood. i may have to mount mine sans the mounting hardware casue i want find them.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:41 AM
Teching In

I would be interested in the pictures as well.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:26 AM
Launching!

This is where I mounted mine. I just placed the grill directly onto the tweeter, with no mounting cup or bracket. The hole was just tight enough to hold the tweeter in place, then I created a web of hot glue to support the tweeter from behind.

Just realized that I don't have a screwdriver in my car today. I can get some pics of the backs this evening if you want to see more.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:30 AM
Launching!

By the way, I would have gone with something like the 6LE tweeter pods, but they get horrible reviews having to do with strength and longevity. I also have a spare set of a-pillar caps, so I wasn't worried about destroying these if I didn't like them.

Also, I just got my system up and running completely this week, and have been pretty impressed with the sound stage having my tweets mounted up so high. It's nice to get the tweets away from the doors where people's legs tend to block the sound.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:30 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^Our only issues is our screw hole is NOT designed to be a part to tighten against which is why on our ordering page we say be sure to use a washer and spacer but no one ever reads lol.

We can make them now out of fiberglass and/or carbon fiber if you guys want but then they'd be $200 instead of $75
Old 03-17-2016, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1999nbmZ
By the way, I would have gone with something like the 6LE tweeter pods, but they get horrible reviews having to do with strength and longevity. I also have a spare set of a-pillar caps, so I wasn't worried about destroying these if I didn't like them.

Also, I just got my system up and running completely this week, and have been pretty impressed with the sound stage having my tweets mounted up so high. It's nice to get the tweets away from the doors where people's legs tend to block the sound.
tweeters in a position to fire off the windshield is always my preference.

to the OP, you can mount tweeters in many locations, it's just a matter of what panels you are willing to cut into on my old base model firebird door panels I cut a hole in the fabric covered cardboard area and used the mounts that came with the components to hold them, then they went into the pods when I got the Tans Am door panels and are now in the bose dash location on my trailblazer (by far my favorite position), I also years ago had a 95 civic with the premium sound setup that had tweeter pods on the door panel that pointed at the windshield and both my 94 accords had the factory tweeters in the dash, as long as it can fire of the windshield it will do pretty good.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I managed to flush mine in the a-pillars next to the side-defroster vents (which are still functional)...

I also tried several spots before choosing the final location, to me they sounded the best here.
Attached Thumbnails Tweeter location options-imag1420.jpg   Tweeter location options-imag1421.jpg  
Old 06-20-2017, 06:07 PM
Teching In

I replaced the pillar vents with the tweeters. No issues and it sounds great.

Quick Reply: Tweeter location options