Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HUD in 4th gen F-body

Old 05-12-2016, 11:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HUD in 4th gen F-body

Hey guys. I'm not sure if this is in the right section or not but please move it if it's not. I will say first off that I don't own a 4th gen yet but I am looking for upgrades. I have searched but I haven't been able to find anybody who has done this yet. The car I would like to get is a 98-02 Trans Am convertible 6 speed. I would like to put HUD in it. I have read all of the reasons not to do it (mainly the space constraints), but I think it might be possible. Let me share my plans.

I would like to put a HUD unit from a C5 vette in. I know there are aftermarket units available but I do not want one of these for a couple of reasons. #1. I would like it to be hidden and look like it could have been factory. #2. To hide this would be possible but all the controls for the hud are on the unit itself, so if you hid it you couldn't adjust it at all. Also I think the C5 HUD has plenty of information on it and anymore would be overkill, the different colors would be nice but not necessary.

From looking at the C5 HUD wiring diagram it looks like all it needs is ACC power, ground, the wires from the switch, the class 2 data wire and the speed and tach sensor from the cluster. Am I correct in this? I thought the speed and tach all ran through the class 2 wire? I know in the C5 when they add HUD they have to change the cluster to a HUD cluster. So does the wiring even make this possible?

Assuming the wiring works there is still the space constraints. I haven't had a 4th gen in years and honestly didn't tear the dash apart when I did.

In this picture where I have marked it, does anyone know what's underneath there? Would it be possible to cut a hole there to drop the projector unit in? I would think it would be easy enough to cut with a dremel. I'm wondering if there is HVAC stuff under there that would make this impossible.

As for covering it up and making it look pretty I would cut a hole in the dash pad and graft in the C5 HUD bezel with plast aid. If you haven't used this before check it out, I couldn't believe how easy it was to use (I made a double din bezel for my 04 RAM that turned out awesome). If I couldn't get the texture right I would cover it up with some fake leather.

As for the switches, I would mount them like they are mounted in the C5 in the gauge bezel, again using the plast-aid to graft them in.

Am I missing anything? Other than the stuff I pointed out is there any other reason this wouldn't work? Thanks guys.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One issue to think about is if it will require a special windshield. When base c5 guys would upgrade to HUD they had to get C5 z06 windshields. And I have heard c5z guys getting base c5 windshields and HUD not displaying anymore.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Logically it shouldn't. Even basic $30 HUD's have no issue displaying output on standard glass. GM's version, who knows. Maybe optics/light output is different, coated glass, etc. I'm fascinated by lighting but I haven't looked much into the HUD market, let alone how GM does it. I don't think it would be any different, but who knows!

Good luck OP. I'm just going to pick up a cheap OBD2 HUD and play around with it.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

a sponsor , 6le sells obd2 HUD devices.
they were popular not too long ago, most people would use tint paper on section of windshield where the projection was aimed to be.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

I use an OBD2 HUD with my BMW and I have the same one I am putting in my Trans AM. In order for it to work on a standard windshield, you need to put a piece of film material on the windshield for you to be able to use the HUD. If you do not, you will see two HUD reflections due to the lamination of the glass, and it will be harder to see. It does take a bit to get used to seeing a six by four inch (depending on the size of the film) piece of darker film on the window, but you do get used to it. This is the only way to add HUD without a special windshield that has the HUD reflective material built within the glass.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hardon85

From looking at the C5 HUD wiring diagram it looks like all it needs is ACC power, ground, the wires from the switch, the class 2 data wire and the speed and tach sensor from the cluster. Am I correct in this? I thought the speed and tach all ran through the class 2 wire? I know in the C5 when they add HUD they have to change the cluster to a HUD cluster. So does the wiring even make this possible?
Im not certain of the 98-prior, but on the 99-02 years the Tach was class 2 and the speedo signal was not. The speed input was provided via a dark green/white wire. Looking at the wiring diagram for a C5 HUD unit, it appears to get analog signals for both speed and tach. Looking the diagram, if I were hooking this up I would use the dark green/white speed wire, youd have to pull a tach signal wire off the PCM. Hook the fused switched power up and ground, and lastly provide the class 2 wire which is a gray wire you can pick up from pin B6 on the instrument cluster connector.

The tach and speed should work. The class 2 info may or may not. GM liked to change class 2 info sometimes year to year. I would try to get a HUD unit from a same year C5 as the Fcar you get. You might luck out and all the class 2 info will translate properly. Items that "likely" will not work, are the fuel info( in the C5 its GMLAN not class 2) and the turn signal and high beam icons( in our cars those are analog inputs). The warning icons for oil and coolant "likely" may not work. The low fuel Icon wont work, but the check gauges likely will.

For the HUD switch other than the 6 wires that go to the HUD unit itself, looks like all you have to provide is the brown illumination wire and ground.

....FWIW, it appears the C6 HUD connections are exactly the same as the C5.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 05-30-2016 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 06-01-2016, 06:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I have read and seen over the years, there are two problems:

1) Space - engine is half under the dash, and the 'vette HUDs are rather large. Just no space to fit it.
2) The non-special windshield. I know back in my W-Body days, guys would get the standard windshield instead of the more pricey HUD unit. It'll work, but you'll have "ghosting" or a double image because of the double paned glass. The HUD specific windshields had something added - not sure if it's a coating, or something in between the panes - that only allows for 1 image to reflect so it's nice and crisp.

My plan, if I ever do this, was to pick up one of the smaller aftermarket units, and I would hope to modify it by extending the buttons down to a custom switch panel (unsolder, run leads, use other momentary switches). I'd want to mold it into the stock dash so it looks factory.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Or you could add a small tablet/phone that runs android and Torque or Dash Command. Really cool looking digital dash displays.... I have an 8 inch Samsung Tablet permanently mounted in my Camaro that displays GPS on one half of the screen and Dash Command on the other. All automatic too...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HUD in 4th gen F-body