Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Best brand of sound deadening material . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best brand of sound deadening material . . .

Wasn't sure if this was the best place to post this thread or in the Stereo section, so I posted it both places.

Anyways I've seen posts of people putting down sound insulation or "dynomat" in their 4th gen, trying to get a quieter ride or trying to build a monster stereo system.

Just wondering what is the best product out there. Right now my daily driver is a 2004 Tacoma regular cab, its a noisy little beast. Planning to take out the seat and carpet, lay down some sound insulation on the floor and back of the cab wall. Might also do the doors if you guys think its worth it.

The Tacoma forum I'm on is mostly a bunch of knuckle draggers with 4wd trucks, the whole mindset is how to make your truck more off-road capable, bigger tires, suspension lifts, axles, etc. Civility be damned, rip out the carpets because they're old, nasty and we are bunch of filthy, sweaty mud caked pigs when we get into our trucks

Anyways, just looking for the best product out there to cut down on the road/tire/engine noise when driving on the interstate.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check out sound deadener showdown dot com. Really good info. I ended up getting his CLD tiles, I bought foam locally (the foam factory dot com is 1/2 mile from my house), and I picked up some 3/4 lb MLV from Home Depot as it was much cheaper than buying MLV online due to the shipping.

I feel it made a great improvement in my Camaro.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whwn i was doing stereo installs, I liked Dynamat. That can get pricey. I"ve heard good things about Hush mat and lizard skin too. I think I may end up using LizardSkin when I get to that point in my Chevelle. I like the idea of being able to spray it in layers with their heat shield too.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

How pricey is dynomat??? Its a reg cab truck, so just the floor and back wall, hopefully I wouldn't have to buy that much of it.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AronZ28
How pricey is dynomat??? Its a reg cab truck, so just the floor and back wall, hopefully I wouldn't have to buy that much of it.
It's pretty pricey in itself. Rammat is a little cheaper. As above deadener showdown is a great site for info and install and dons awesome to deal with.
Also, if u search amazons warehouse deals u can sometimes score a "returned" new in box dynamat kit or two for cheap. I got a trunk kit like retail 60 bucks for half price. I say read the showdown site first tho, I learned a lot and his pricipals are sound. No pun intended.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bulk pack of the extreme dynamat is roughly 140 bucks for 36sqft. Sounds like a lot, but it doesn't cover as much as you would think after forming it to contours and such. The only thing i really dislike about it is it's ability to slice your fingers like a chef knife. lol
Old 08-25-2016, 06:43 AM
TECH Resident

Second skin audio
Old 08-31-2016, 10:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

fatmat

Quick Reply: Best brand of sound deadening material . . .