Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp burnt up

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Amp burnt up

I have an Infinity 10" sub at 350 watts rms and a Rockford Fosgate Power 350s mounted on the back of the box. The problem is my amp is now burnt to a crisp. It would get really hot after about an hour or so. What kind of amp you you guys think I should get? I definately need one that won't overheat on my long trips. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

How do you have the amp hooked up? Usually most amps (RF's included) will go into protection mode if something is wrong. What does your fusing look like? Also, what model of Infinity woofer is this? It sounds like you had it wired to a low impedance load it wasn't designed for. It should still be alright though.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its the Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1d and can be found here
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7yzkM8Y...1&avf=N&search

The installer should have it bridged @4ohms to make 350watts rms. I don't really know too much about wiring amps and subs. Here is a link to my amp http://www.cardomain.com/sku/ROC2FR350S. Fusing is all good and all the connections are fine. I guess I'll get my friend to look into the wiring as he knows more about installs than I do. Thanks for the reply Snootch.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:38 AM
TECH Resident

There's your problem. The Installer wired the amp up to a 2 ohm mono load. A 2 ohm mono load places the same stress on the amp as a 1 ohm stereo load would. The amp is not designed for this. What should have been done, is a dual 2 ohm voice soil subwoofer should have been used. That way, two 2 ohm coils wired in series = 4 ohms. the amp will put out 350 watts into that load, and it puts tha same stress on the amp as a 2 ohm stereo load. The only options you have are:
wire the voice coils of the sub you have from paralell to series. This will cause your amp to see an 8 ohm mono load, and you will only put 125 watts into that, but it won't shut down.
Get a diferrent sub. Something that has a single 4 ohm voice coil, or something that has dual 2 ohm coils.
Wiring diagram for woofers:
http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wir...dex.html#1dvcs
Good luck, and I hope you get everything running right!