Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need inputs on electrical system upgrades (alt + battery + cap?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 165 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Need inputs on electrical system upgrades (alt + battery + cap?)

I'm eventually going to be running three 4 channel amps, probably an absolute max of 1100 Watts RMS.... but I doubt I will ever have the gain turned up enough to get over 600.

I will also have a 270A alternator and "Big 3" cables upgraded.

So....

What battery would be good? I have heard that Optima Yellow Top isn't as good as it used to be, since the manufacturing got moved to Mexico.

Also, would a capacitor be beneficial if I have a 270A alternator and a good battery?
Old 01-20-2017, 07:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Unless you plan to do a lot of listening without the engine running, there is no need for a deep-cycle battery like a yellow top. Any decent brand name battery with a good amp-hours rating will be quite sufficient since your alternator will be handling the bulk of the load.

A capacitor is never a good thing - it merely masks the symptoms of a poor electrical system.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FCar2000TA
I'm eventually going to be running three 4 channel amps, probably an absolute max of 1100 Watts RMS.... but I doubt I will ever have the gain turned up enough to get over 600.

I will also have a 270A alternator and "Big 3" cables upgraded.

So....

What battery would be good? I have heard that Optima Yellow Top isn't as good as it used to be, since the manufacturing got moved to Mexico.

Also, would a capacitor be beneficial if I have a 270A alternator and a good battery?
I had an Optima Yellow Top that was purchased January 2016 so basically a year old and it slowly died on me. Kinda a bad deal that was going to leave me stranded without warning but luckily gave out in garage. What happened was it was fully charged and showed perfect volts but once a load was put on cranking amps it would go down to around 100 so a cell was toast. The guys at Interstate sell them but told me they don't personally use Optima's or even recommend them.

I ended up going with a Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM Dual Terminal Battery from Battery Plus stores. Part # SLI75DTAGM and has a 48 month free replacement over Optima's 36 month. It's almost identical to Yellow Tops spec wise but the Duracell was a little higher in key areas like capacity AH, reserve, and I think CCA's.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli75dtagm
Old 01-31-2017, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by neblackshirts
I had an Optima Yellow Top that was purchased January 2016 so basically a year old and it slowly died on me. Kinda a bad deal that was going to leave me stranded without warning but luckily gave out in garage. What happened was it was fully charged and showed perfect volts but once a load was put on cranking amps it would go down to around 100 so a cell was toast. The guys at Interstate sell them but told me they don't personally use Optima's or even recommend them.

I ended up going with a Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM Dual Terminal Battery from Battery Plus stores. Part # SLI75DTAGM and has a 48 month free replacement over Optima's 36 month. It's almost identical to Yellow Tops spec wise but the Duracell was a little higher in key areas like capacity AH, reserve, and I think CCA's.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli75dtagm
Thanks for that! I didn't know that Optima had gone downhill that much.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

A Mechman 270a (165a at idle) will be plenty, right? I can't see $250 more for the 370a (200a at idle) one.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Mechman alts are nice units and 270amp will be plenty for your power level. As advised, avoid caps. With your alt, battery, and big 3, you're good.

Duracell, Energizer, and Die Hard all have AGM batteries that are good. Even the Everstart Maxx is a solid choice. No need to go Stinger but that would be the optimum choice IMO.

Do NOT make the mistake of thinking gain is a volume **** that you "turn up", it's not. It's only for input level matching from the HU. If you treat it like a volume ****, you are asking for trouble.

Quick Reply: Need inputs on electrical system upgrades (alt + battery + cap?)