Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Putting a system together

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting a system together

Let me start off by saying that my car audio knowledge is VERY limited and I have had to rely on opinions and ideas from others for most of the set up that I have come up with thus far. I also am planning on purchasing the system within two weeks. Any thoughts or opinions on what I have selected would be greatly appreciated.

Head unit: Alpine 9835
Front Speakers: Boston Z6's
Rear (by backseat) Speakers: Boston NX67's
Sub: Boston PRO Series or the New G5 sub that they have not released the specs online yet

As far as amps go, I know I will need quite a bit of power for the Z6's so I think I can get away with using one amp for the Z's up front, sub amp, and powering the rear speakers with the head unit.

For this system I am going for sound quality, rather than loudness; and I was told by several people that you get what you pay for so that alone is somewhat justifying the cost of everything. I have also thought about the Infinity Kappa Perfects up front, and Kappas in the back. I am very unknowledgeable about the amps so any suggestions other than Bostons would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Colin
Old 06-24-2004, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I would just like to say I respect you for saying you have a limited knowlege on cars, most guys like to act like they know everything.

Looks like you have a good headunit picked out, I just don't care for the black and white on the display but that is just personal prefernce.
I've also heard good things about boston's speakers, but I would also look into some focals, I've heard they sound amazing.

Also, maybe you should find a shop that has the stuff you want so you can listen and play around, you may want a different headunit or speakers after you hear another or find another you like at an audio shop.

I don't know to much about car audio, but thats the advice i've got to give.

Derek
Old 06-24-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, and you shouldn't go on just specs along, many companies will rate their amps and speakers at different voltages and such giving a distorted reading. Here are some good links you should look at.

Info about amps

Subs

Speakers

Info about everything, gives you links

Just do some reading, you will be happy you did.

Derek
Old 06-24-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good thread, good question.
-Head unit-I agree.

-Boston-have used them in the past. Nice brand, nice speakers. I upgraded to MB Quart. Much nicer! Tonally rich with nicer attack than the Bostons. Cost a little more, unless you're talking Boston Pro-Series, though worth it, IMO if you plan on keeping them.

-Sub-NOW look to INFINITY KAPPA PERFECT. Very nice driver. Enough said..

-Amp(s)- Never used anything but PPI(Precision Power) in the last 4 years. I love them. I had a JL 1000.1 in a friends car a few months back, and just for kicks swapped in my PPI PC1800.2 to see the difference. The difference-My PPI sounded better, scored within 2db's, and used less power.

Good luck!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2004, 12:38 AM
Launching!

Go listen to the speakers before you buy them. What sounds good to someone else might sound like *** to you. I would listen to everything before i bought it if i were you. I'm in the middle of my stereo install right now and i wish i could start over becuase i didn't listen to some speakers before i bought them. Hopefully a little tuning this week will fix that though.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

My advice... Do lots of research online about types of setups, and what you expect from your system. See what others have done in F-bodies. A great site I recommend for this is www.Fbodyaudio.com , A great group of guys in the forum there that can help you out with anything. But as with all forums, search first. Secondly, After you have a general idea of the type of system you want, check out a few local stereo shops and listen to different brands of equipment they carry. Beware though, alot of people and dealers get so hyped up about the brand they use/carry, they will swear up and down that there is nothing better. That is crap, get what you like, and what sounds good to you, it is going is your car after all! And lastly, you get what you pay for, but sometimes "extra features" that you pay for you might never use... Good luck!