Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How the heck do i properly wiring door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Got 2 ohm infinitis 6022 for the doors. Cutting connector off of old speakers and splicing them onto new speakers. Now i marked the wires correctly and understand that the all red wires are pos and the red w black is neg. when wired "correctly" there is no bass.....i can unhook both sets of negatives from one speaker and individually reconnect and there is noise coming out of both parts of the speaker, just both noises are higher pitch. When i dont use any grounds coming from the connector, and touch the grounds from both parts of the speaker together, i get bass and a decent sound. What do i do?

Can i just combine all the grounds? I get a decent sound then too

Last edited by Floorman279; 02-24-2017 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Combine consecutive posts, correct wording
Old 02-20-2017, 07:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

This has been covered hundreds of times so search is your friend.

Assuming you have a Camaro Monsoon system (since the question doesn't come up with Firebirds that have tweeters mounted separately), your original speakers were components that only look like a typical coaxial speaker because the independent tweeter is mounted in the center of the speaker. But that's the reason you have four wires - one pair for the woofer and one pair for the tweeter. The signal in the tweeter wires is filtered by the Monsoon amp to provide only highs.

So the correct way to wire is to connect the two terminals of your coaxial speaker to the pair of wires that originally fed the woofer and leave the other pair (tweeter wires) completely unused. You can't combine them. If you do, you're bridging separate channels from the amp and it isn't designed to handle that. One day you'll turn up the volume and let all the smoke out of your amp. Once you let the smoke out of an electronic device, it never works again.

You can determine which pair is which by going a few inches further up the harness to where the red and red/black pigtails connect to the vehicle wiring. The correct colors are listed in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section, along with a lot more information about the Monsoon system.

BTW, you are giving up lots of power using those speakers. First, you're replacing 2-ohm original speakers with 4-ohm aftermarket (that cuts power in half) and then you're giving up one of the two channels in each door (another half).
Old 02-20-2017, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with pretty much everything WhiteBird00 just said (<Listen to this man!), there is one exception: 2-ohm factory speakers are pretty inefficient, in the same sense that the factory Monsoon amp is "500 watts WLS" (When Lightning Strikes), but in reality, more like 250. The transition to good 4-ohm aftermarket speakers is not nearly as drastic as numbers would make it seem. They wind up being about the same.

That said, I would always use component speakers, even where coaxials were once used. They even give you mounting hardware to place the tweeters.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:51 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Very true... I knew my words would come back to haunt me some day. Yes, going from 2-ohm to 4-ohm technically cuts power in half but that only causes a 3dB drop in output and almost every decent aftermarket speaker will be at least 3dB more sensitive (efficient) so there is no real drop in volume.

I think the point I was trying to make was that it's always better to research first rather than looking for answers later. You know - the old "measure twice, cut once" idea. People here are always willing to help so asking questions before buying speakers might have led to a different choice. I'm not knocking Infiniti speakers - lots of people love them and they are a quality brand although some may find them too bright sounding. It's just that a true component set might have been a better match.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:26 AM
TECH Junkie

I did read the monsoon stickies, maybe i missed one directly related to wiring...

I had a blown door speaker so picked these up for 40 shipped from a member....good deal dont listen to radio much so cheap option.

So i got decent sound by doing the following.....

I connected the pos for the tweeter on the connector to the pos of the tweeter on the new speaker

Pos for woofer on connector to pos for woofer on new speaker

For negatives i swapped them, so i did neg for tweeter on connector to negative of woofer on the new speaker and neg for woofer on connector to neg of tweeter on speaker. I now have both parts of the speaker working with good sound. Are u saying this is harmful on the amp or head unit?
Old 02-24-2017, 12:30 AM
TECH Junkie

White bird i misled u....these are 4 wire 2 ohm speakers......i accidently wrote 4 ohm earlier

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...ce_6022si.aspx

Last edited by Floorman279; 02-24-2017 at 12:32 AM. Reason: ......
Old 02-24-2017, 06:38 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Actually they're not. Yes, you can see the separate wires from the terminals to the tweeter and woofer but unless you cut the tweeter wires and connected them separately, they all connect to the single pair of positive and negative terminals. This is the way a coaxial speaker is designed and you must not connect the four factory wires to the two terminals. A component set has four individual terminals that have only one wire each and are not electrically connected to each other.

Back of Infinity 6022 speaker.

You can convert a coaxial speaker into a component set by cutting the two tweeter wires off of the terminals and then connecting them separately to the factory tweeter wires in the harness while connecting the factory woofer wires to the speaker terminals (which now have only the woofer connected).

Otherwise, use only the factory woofer wires to connect a coaxial speaker or risk permanent damage to the Monsoon amp.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Actually they're not. Yes, you can see the separate wires from the terminals to the tweeter and woofer but unless you cut the tweeter wires and connected them separately, they all connect to the single pair of positive and negative terminals. This is the way a coaxial speaker is designed and you must not connect the four factory wires to the two terminals. A component set has four individual terminals that have only one wire each and are not electrically connected to each other.

Back of Infinity 6022 speaker.

You can convert a coaxial speaker into a component set by cutting the two tweeter wires off of the terminals and then connecting them separately to the factory tweeter wires in the harness while connecting the factory woofer wires to the speaker terminals (which now have only the woofer connected).

Otherwise, use only the factory woofer wires to connect a coaxial speaker or risk permanent damage to the Monsoon amp.
yea i remember that from the sticky, and the previous owner had separated them already and sautered new wire to the woofer so i do have 4 separate wires now.......any harm in crossing the negatives like i did? only way that i found to make the woofer part work.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:51 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Cross connecting the negative wires shouldn't cause any physical damage but would normally cause poor sound and an out-of-phase condition. Are you sure that they are actually cross wired? Have you traced back to the main harness and checked the colors?
Old 02-25-2017, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

yea i can pull the door panel again to check colors. i know i labeled the wires right and i could trace them up the harness to see.....i thought it was weird too and i pmed the seller and he said thats what he had to do as well

Quick Reply: How the heck do i properly wiring door speakers