Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Modern stock stereo?

Old 02-21-2017, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Modern stock stereo?

Has anyone replaced their 4th gen stereo with something out of a newer gm vehicle? I have an alpine unit i'm planning on installing but think I might miss that stock look... I'd like the stereo to have modern capabilities like Bluetooth and aux input.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Modern GM radios are double din or larger (usually larger) with vehicle specific mounting. There's no reasonable way to retrofit.

Also, they are turned on and off via databus signal, no ign wire to power it up.

Also, many newer GM radios are VIN coded to the car they came with, so removing them from one vehicle and trying to use them in another vehicle locks them up. We deal with this on junkyard radios on a regular basis.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tophatjimmy
Modern GM radios are double din or larger (usually larger) with vehicle specific mounting. There's no reasonable way to retrofit.

Also, they are turned on and off via databus signal, no ign wire to power it up.

Also, many newer GM radios are VIN coded to the car they came with, so removing them from one vehicle and trying to use them in another vehicle locks them up. We deal with this on junkyard radios on a regular basis.
Thanks, good to know
Old 02-21-2017, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a stock monsoon radio from eBay with an aux input so I can play my music off my iPhone. The guy also said he can do it to the original stock one.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

You can do the same modification to the radio (add auxiliary input) yourself. Instructions are in this thread. Or you can buy an adapter that plugs into the CD changer port on the back of the head unit as long as you have a cassette head unit (any model year) or a CD head unit in a 2000 or newer model. CD head units prior to that didn't have the ability to control an external changer so the adapter won't work.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I've seen those. I was looking for something that would have more modern features like bluetooth and ipod navigation on the headunit.

Thanks for the replies though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Modern stock stereo?