Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

in car wiring help needed, lt work for ls?

Old 02-26-2017, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in car wiring help needed, lt work for ls?

I am shopping for the wires (harness) inside the car, ALL OF THEM. I really need what plugs into the bcm and associated wires running under the dash and all. What I need to know is what cars would be compatible with mine? I have a '98 Trans Am, LS m6 car (now has TH400). Will all fourth gen cars (v6 and v8) work for this? Or only LS cars? Only LS m6 cars? Can someone help?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2017, 08:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nobody knows the answer to this?
Old 02-27-2017, 08:56 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The harnesses are quite specific. For the most part, other than 00-02, none of the model years used exactly the same instrument panel harness (i.e. 98 was different from 99 which was different from 00-02). Also, body type and equipment make a difference - convertibles have a different harness than coupes, manual is different from automatic, and in coupes the type of stereo system matters.

Generally, the connectors that plug into devices (BCM, switches, relays, etc.) will be the same but the wiring will be different and sometimes the connectors between harnesses (e.g. at the firewall) can be different as well.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have sourced the wires/harness I need, it's out of a '98 Camaro SS M6 car. My car is a '98 (99+ computer, not sure exactly what year it is) Trans Am M6 (now has a TH400). I don't have hvac or a stereo. All I want is for the car to run and the lights and windows to work.

Would this harness work? Or be close enough...
Old 02-28-2017, 07:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Can't say. There is no Firebird I/P harness which has the same part number as a Camaro harness. Some differences could be meaningless for your purposes (e.g. the Firebird Monsoon system is wired quite differently from a Camaro system) or they could be significant. Some examples... the headlight wiring is different between the models since Firebirds have separate high beams, the high beam switch is different, the fog lights and fog light switch are wired differently and are in different locations, other switches are in very different positions (e.g. ASR switch on Camaro is at top of dash, TCS switch in Firebird is in the console), instrument clusters are very different, turn signal wiring isn't even similar... That's just some of the differences between Camaro and Firebird of the same year. Adding in changes like manual vs. automatic transmission and a computer of unknown origin increases the differences.

Best guess... there is no way that harness will simply plug in. It's probably something that can be modified to work but the amount of modification will likely be quite extensive. It would be better to start with a 98 Firebird harness to minimize your cutting and splicing.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ugh, I thought I had this all figured out. Ya maybe there is not "easy" way to fix this. Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: in car wiring help needed, lt work for ls?