Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Firebird replacement speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Firebird replacement speakers

So ive searched around but most threads I found are either really old or still have the stock monsoon system.

My car has great bass, but after driving around in newer cars i realized the rest of my audio sucks. It sounds distorted and I want to upgrade what I have.

I searched around and a lot of people recommend Kee Audio, however most of the threads said they still have the stock monsoon system. I currently have:
1) Pioneer DEH-P5200hd head unit (really old but works)
2) Alpine Type-R SWR-10D4 10" sub in the trunk (also old but hits great)
3) Kicker 11DX1000.1 1000 peak amp (so far so good)
Everything else is stock as far as the audio system goes.

If I only replace my door speakers will that make much of a difference? This isnt my daily so I dont want to spend so much money into it, but I do want it to sound nice or at least better.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Did your car come with the monsoon system or base? If monsoon, is the factory amp still in play or was that bypassed when the pioneer was installed?

There are a couple things that could be causing your distortion. The most common is that the volume (and possibly the gains/eq) in the pioneer is being turned too high, and the audio signal is clipping. The speakers may also be a limiting factor, or a combination of the two.

new speakers will net you a sound quality upgrade, but if you really want to get good sound, I would throw a 4 channel amp in there as well. Alpine makes a great small amp (ktp-445u) that can be had for around 150, and is a cinch to install.

What kind of budget were you looking at?
Old 03-20-2017, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

My car had the monsoon system, however the previous owner had replaced the amp with a cheap no-name amp and an even cheaper subwoofer. He had left the original monsoon head unit, so when I bought it, I added a head unit, and replaced the cheap sub and amp he had. I added a mono sub for a single DVC sub.
So when I added the head unit, I adjusted the equalizer to get the best sound.

Are you saying to replace my mono amp with the 4 channel one, or to instal a second amp for the speakers only?

Id like to keep my budget under 200 for now. I just ordered an oem ac compressor and that wasnt cheap lol. Thats why I was hoping only replacing the door speakers with something better would help.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

What are your eq settings at? Does the pioneer give you a multi band adjustment or just bass mid high?

I'm saying in addition to the mono amp. This amp will power your speakers so you don't have to crank the eq or volume so high to get the same sound.

replacing the speakers may fix the problem. It's hard to say without seeing the car and hearing it, as well as seeing what the eq looks like.

how high do you turn it up?
Old 03-20-2017, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Hadnt thought of that. So a second amp for the speakers only will be better than buying new speakers? Will that work for with stock speakers? I figured the stock ones would be too limited to sound good.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like I said, it's hard to say what would be better without seeing the car, hearing it, etc.

Your best bet would be to do both speakers and amp, even if you went with a set of cheap aftermarket speakers like Pioneers or Kickers DS series they'll handle the 50 watts RMS that alpine amp I mentioned will output.

If you go with the amp and not speakers the factory speakers will likely only last a short time before they blow. They simply aren't designed to handle the extra wattage. Likewise, if you go speakers only you'll get better sound reproduction, but the distortion issue may still be present.

That being said, the kicker DS coax speakers are 65 on kickers website, I'm sure they can be had cheaper elsewhere. Alpine's KTP amp is typically 150, putting you only 15 dollars above your budget.

Were you planning to do this install yourself or have someone do it?
Old 03-21-2017, 03:05 AM
TECH Addict

Id be doing the install myself. I just found the kicker 43dsc6504 for about 45 bucks on amazon. Would those be better than the ones Kee audio offers?
I think for now ill only get new speakers, and if i notice they dont sound loud enough, ill get the amp to go along. Im just not sure how many watts i should be looking at for the speakers to match the sub.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

The kee audio speakers are going to sound much better.

There isn't a whole lot of "matching" you have to do to your sub amp. If you install speakers and a 4 channel and find the sub is too powerful, turn the gain on the sub amp down a bit. The kicker speakers you mentioned are capable of 60 watts rms, so I would pick an amp that would come close to that if you pull the trigger on it.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Ok ill probably give kee audio a call to see which speakers or kit he recommends. I dont want to spend so much on the premium speakers but i also heard the basic speakers are pretty much a stock replacement and i want them to be a little louder than that. Especially when i have the windows down and the exhaust and wind noise overpowering the speakers.
Thanks for your help, im going to keep looking up what other speakers people here have bought

Quick Reply: Firebird replacement speakers