Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Lightning & car alarms

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Lightning & car alarms

What causes my stock alarm to go off a couple of times before lightning? Is it an audible frequency? Is it a electrical charge in the air? Do these cars have a sixth sense?

Doesn't really both me unless it is happening continuously.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:47 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's a new one to me , never heard of that , most alarms have a shock sensor which has nothing to do with electrical current, but with impacts to the car , maybe it's the loud thunder that is setting it off. that's more likely. what type of alarm do you have? if it has an adjustment (most if not all do) , might be too sensitive.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

It's just the stock alarm, and it still has the tape on it. The alarm will go off a second or two before the lightning, not after the thunder.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:05 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is bizarre, the GM factory alarms are made by codealarm , there is the shock sensor mounted behind the rear right trunk panel , try disconnecting it and see if the problem goes away , it's a small black box attached directly to the wheel well with three wires coming out of it, nothing else around it , it's all by itself.if the problem persists, contact codealarm , sorry ,don't have the website for ya .
Old 06-28-2004, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did this too once. The lightning was VERY strong and VERY close. It's made it through plenty of storms without going off before though. It's probably just a strong electrical field screwing with the sensors, the same way they would with the radio.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has done this a few times too. It has to be a pretty strong storm though. And it is definitely the lightning, not thunder that does it.