Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Few quick Q's...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Few quick Q's...

Hey all... I have an '01 Z71 (as seen in my sig ) and have a few quick questions.

I'm running a set of JL XR653s up front in kickpanels. They are a 3 way set with 6.5" midbass, 4" midrange, and 1" tweet. Just recently I f'ed up my rear Kappa 4x6 comp plates.

So what I'm thinking is this...

1. Purchase a set of 5.25" comps (JL XR to voice match)
2. Take my 4" midrange in my kick and put it in the rear door and manufacture a plate for the 4" driver and 1" tweet from the 5.25" setup...like how the existing rear plates are.
3. Take the 5.25" woofers and put them in my kicks for more surface area.

Now, would this adversely effect my 3 ways up front due to the larger midrange driver?

Other ideas/input/etc... ?
Old 06-28-2004, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I spoke with a guy from JL when I was setting up my system, he acted almost pissed off at the thought of separating the component set in any way. He said the farthest he would separate the system would be mids/tweeters in kicks and woofer in the door, and he still acted like it would degrade sound quality...

not sure if that answers your question but its all i got

btw, it seems like my components (powered 75rms from a rockford 300w amp) don't "cut through" at all like normal 2 way door speakers would, almost like I cant hear them very well unless theyre cranked up alot, and at that point the bass is overpowering. I've been thinking of trying some Infinity kappa 2 way's instead of the JL components but it seems like a downgrade somehow...but at this point I'm not happy with the mids/highs. I'd consider putting 4x6's in the back pillars but theyre right by the headrests.....might sound bad right in the ear....