Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need Help with stock head unit.

Old 06-29-2004, 02:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help with stock head unit.

I have a 98 camaro it has no cd player or any speakers in the car right now. I am wanitng to get a stock head unit and use it to power just 2 front door speakers. What head units will work? All stereo wires are still in the car just have to hook them up. I dont thank the car was equpied with the monsson from the factory will one of those cd players work. Or does it not have a amp in the head unit. Any help would be nice dont want to get a aftermarket one just would like it to look stock and have 2 speakers (it can be a tape player to)
Old 06-29-2004, 12:37 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as long as it's not a delco bose unit you're looking to buy , any head unit from a f-body rom 98-99 will work with the exception of the delco bose . i believe the monsoon will even work as it is a speaker level input on the amp and not a balanced signal .the method of mounts are different from different GM vehicles so stick with an f-body and preferably one from a camaro as there is a slight difference between it and the firebird . GM uses stamped brackets on the side of the radio so you can't just switch brackets like you could on the older versions.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

All 98-02 f-body head units will fit and work. There were no Bose systems available in the f-bodies after 97 - it was replaced by the Monsoon. There are some minor functional differences between the Camaro and Firebird HUs and they look different. The Firebird has a seven-band equalizer and is gray with orange illumination. The Camaro has speed controlled volume and is black with white/green illumination.

You might want to look for the newest one you can find as there were slight feature changes over the years. In mid-99 the CD HU was given the ability to control an external CD changer (before that only the cassette HU could have a changer). In 2001 the units were upgraded so that they could control more than one external device (with the proper adapter) so that you could have the CD changer and something like a satellite radio or MP3 player all connected and controlled from the HU.

Search this Thread