Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Remote wire problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Remote wire problem

About a week ago i heard some intermitten static through all of my speakers, and then they cut out for a second. The whole stereo came back on and everything seemed fine. I went on a little 5 day vacation a couple days after this, and when I returned, the amp wont turn on. I am getting power to the main power, but no power to the remote wire. I tried switching my remote wire from the remote wire coming from the harness to the power antenna wire, and there is still no power to it. The ground is good, and no fuses are blown. Anyone have any ideas why my god damn remote wire doesnt work?
Old 07-02-2004, 06:55 AM
TECH Resident

I assume you are using an aftermarket amp? cut 3" of 18ga wire, strip it, and connect the power terminal of the amp to the remote terminal. Does it turn on and work? If so, find a 12v switched wire in the dash, and hook up the remote to that. Use a multimeter to find it. The two 12v switched wires I know of are the pink power antenna, and the yellow switched power wire. (not the pale yellow speaker wire) Post back with your results please.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Snooth, the amp turns on when I ran the bridge wire from the power terminal to the remote terminal. Ill find an alternative switched power source for it. One other question, why do you think that my power antenna/remote wire outputs (from the CD player) went bad? Thanks a lot.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

It may, may not be bad, It could be alright, and the remote wire running to the amp may be broken, or grounded out by a screw or something. I'd disconnect that wire at the back of the radio and check it with a multimeter at the output of the radio there as well. You should get 12v at the wire with the radio on, and 0v with the radio off.