Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

NoIsE in system, PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NoIsE in system, PLEASE HELP!

ok yall, here we go...... this has been a problem of mine for a LONG time...... i have regrounded my HU to the chassis, run power and RCA wires down opposite sides of the car, ground both amps to the same spot, and even have a ground loop isolator on the midrange and tweeter amp and i STILL have absolutley horrible noise in the system..... can anyone help diagnose this problem? it is very frustrating
Old 07-15-2004, 04:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It the area of metal that the amps connect to the chassis clean, paint-free, and tight? You sure you didn't possibly put a screw through an RCA cable when putting the interior back in?
Old 07-15-2004, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ya, i didnt put a screw thru an rca and also i took a screwdriver and got all the paint off the chassis and it is down to bare metal.... one thing to note, initially i had only one amp (for my front component speakres) hookd up and there was NO noise at all........ then i added my sub amp to the same location, i put the sub amp ground first since it draws the most current and then the component speaker sub ground second....... and thats when the noise came....... would it be ok if i grounded to 2 seperate locations far enough apart to where i wouldnt have ground look noise??
Old 07-15-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one thing you could do to make it look nice and work good as well is to get one of those power distribution blocks, then run both of the amps' ground wires to that block, then ground that one block to the chassis

and i assume by noise, you mean "alternator whine", the noise that gets higher or lower-pitched with engine speed? if so, i'd double-check to make sure that none of the cables that supplies the amps power or grounding are running parallel to any of your RCA patch cables....that is a very common source of noise in a sound system
Old 07-15-2004, 10:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you picked up alternator whine when you added
a new component, that component may lack proper
supply decoupling internally and/or have poor HF
power supply rejection. It may be necessary to
provide it a filtered supply of its own (a nice fat
choke (inductor) and reservoir cap). Depending on
the power draw and how pretty this has to be, it
could be a junk transformer secondary winding
and a surplus computer-grade (big-***, >50,000uF)
cap - just to test the theory, anyway.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok guys, fixed the problem and now im good to go, i wanna thank everyone for helping me set this up and i will post pics this weekend probably, its amazing to me!
Old 07-15-2004, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FSUNole17
ok guys, fixed the problem and now im good to go, i wanna thank everyone for helping me set this up and i will post pics this weekend probably, its amazing to me!
so what was causing it?