Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

my trunk speakers are stealing all the sound from my new fronts/backs

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my trunk speakers are stealing all the sound from my new fronts/backs

hers my problem guys i just replaced my front door and rear seat speakers took the factory out and replaced them with (4) JBL's 6.5 i didnt bother with the ones in the trunk i have a older headunit that i had on my old car and i decided to replace the monsson radio with a sony 650 or sometin in that nature the problem is once i replaced it my trunk 4 inch speakers are alot louder and are stealin all my sound from the 2 up on the doors and the rear seat ones just put out bass and no sound u can berly hear as well as the door u can hear a bit the ones in the trunk are at full blast

do u guys think its the monsoon amp that is not distributin the sound propelry or u think its my headunit or wiring i dunno im not a sound guy so any help will be appreciate it and wen i did dissconnect the trunk 4 inches u can hear the doors and rear but very low and rear is puttin out only bass and very low i mean very low voice i dunno what the heck happened
Old 07-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The stock speakers are 2 Ohm.
The new aftermarket speakers are 4 Ohm.

Greater resistance means lower volume. Thats why the stock speakers are louder.
(At least thats my understanding of the issue.)
Old 07-15-2004, 11:50 AM
Teching In

so how would i fix the problem or does this mean i have to be looking into 2 ohms after market speakers or can i use the ones i have now and just buy some kind of adapter
Old 07-15-2004, 01:05 PM
Launching!

As far as the front door speakers go, you can either buy new 2 ohm speakers or buy a new amp. There is no adapter. The rear seat speakers only get low frequencies due to a filter in the monsoon amp. You cannot bypass this. I would buy a new amp if i were you. Right now i'm running an alpine type s component set in the doors and infinity 6 1/2's by the rear seats all powered by an mtx amp and it sounds great. PM me if you have any more questions, i went through this already with my install.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:12 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You could replace the rest of the stock speakers so everything is 4 Ohm. To my knowledge, 2 Ohm aftermarket speakers are rare.

If you replace the monsoon amp and keep the stock speakers, you will be giving a 2 Ohm load to an aftermarket amp designed for a 4 Ohm load (unless you buy an amp that is 2 Ohm stable for the number of outputs you intend to use). In adition to this, you may still have the volume issue since not all the speakers are the same inpedence.

Or you could replace the monsoon amp and the remaining stock speakers for a completely aftermarket setup.

Like Frontman said, the rear seat speakers are intended to be subs. That is why they are only producing the lows.

Where are the stereo experts (especially those that have done this)? I'm reaching the end of my knowledge on this one.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I unplugged my hatch speakers a long time ago when I realized my stock system actually sounded better w/o them. Apparently those little things were making my middle(subs) only work half-***. That was my fix
Kyle
Edit: I would say that this Q is probably answered in that "replacing speakers" sticky thread...but good luck finding any answers in those 2mil+ posts
Old 07-15-2004, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have several options:

1) take the JBL's back and get some different speakers....i believe Soundstream makes some 2 ohm speakers and i think Boston Acoustics makes some 3 ohm speakers...there are probably others, but those are all I can think of ATM.

2) keep the JBL's and buy a seperate amp so that you don't have the frequency and power limitations that your Monsoon amp does....however, this option will get a little more complex in its setup, so be prepared to do lots of wiring. and if you do go this route, be absolutely sure that you do NOT run your RCA patch cables parallel to your power/ground/speaker wires....they will introduce noise into your system.

3) do a combination of 1 & 2 so that you can get the most power out of your aftermarket amp.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
be absolutely sure that you do NOT run your RCA patch cables parallel to your power/ground/speaker wires....they will introduce noise into your system.
I wouldn't worry about something like that, I ran the cheapest RCA cable wire I could find (the purple stuff off of Parts Express, made up our own cables) right by the 4 gauge power wire running down the right side of the car and have no noise issues. Heck, at finals last year I aced the noise section and they checked to make sure my car was hooked up to the electrical system to check to make sure I wasn't cheating and I passed that test just fine! (they made sure that voltage went up to 14+ at the amp's inputs once I started the car, which it did)

I would stress though to make sure all your grounds are good though. A lot of people don't seem to put a lot of importance on grounds and they are important to get good. A bad ground can sometimes be the reason for noise in the system.