Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Steering Wheel Control Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering Wheel Control Help

Hey I've changed my factory AC Delco Casette stereo in my -96 Firebird, installed a used Pontiac Monsoon cd stereo(can't remember the year right now). Everything works fine, except that the plug from the original steeringwheel wiring doesn't fit the new monsoon player.

The steering wheel wiring is only a dark blue single wire right? Since the plug does not fit I tried to connect the wire to each and every pin in the new monsoon stereo, couldnt find the right one.

Does anyone know which pin or how I should do to get the controls to work?
Let me know if you don't understand or need more information.
Please excuse my english, I'm from Sweden
// Thanks Tabbe
Old 07-16-2004, 07:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

On the Monsoon there are three connectors - a 10-pin black, a 9-pin black and a 10-pin gray. The 10-pin gray connector the pins divided into a group of 6 and a group of four. The dark blue steering wheel control wire goes in the 4th position from the outside edge in the group of 6.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks alot, worked perfectly!
May I ask, what are you supposed to connect to the 9-pin conn? Since mine is empty, and speakers, power, radio antenna works. Maybie for a CD-changer or aux? Even though I don't have an aux button. If my guess is correct could someone give me the name of that converter to RCA adapter.
Thanks for the answers!
// Tabbe
Old 07-16-2004, 02:17 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The 9-pin connector is for the CD changer harness. You can buy an adapter that will let you plug an auxiliary device such as MP3 player, satellite radio, etc. into the port on the back of the radio and control it with the radio controls. The two best known adapters are the GM9-AUX from PIE (http://www.pie.net/aux_gm.htm) and the AUX-BOX from PAC (http://www.pac-audio.com/auxbox/). There's another one as well but I can't remember where to get it.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Great! Thanks alot.
Now I "only" need to fix the shipping to Sweden, perhaps it should be wise to try to order a cd-changer and a stealthbox in the same shipment. We'll see, too bad there arent any alternatives here in sweden.
Thanks for everything!
// Tabbe