Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 04:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Advice on Sirius radio?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on Sirius radio?

I have the factory stock Monsoon Cd player and system in my car and would like to get Sirius satellite radio. I have no expertise on stereo systems at all and would like some advice. Should I get the add on system that goes with the stock radio or should I get a new head unit that's Sirius ready? I don't have a huge budget so nothing high-end. Any recomendations of what to get and where to buy it? Thank's a lot.

Old 07-18-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

It is just as easy to get a satellite radio system for your factory HU. Make sure you get one with the FM modulator, though.

On a side note, I've tried both, and I do prefer XM to Sirius. The difference is in the satellites. XM has 2 satellites in geosynchronous orbit. They never move from their relative positions. Sirius has three satellites, but they are not geosynchronous. You can and will get signal fade on occasion.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I added XM to my stock headunit.
I know you are looking at Sirius. I am just showing you my experience in installing my unit.

I bought a PM reciever from Best Buy:
Pioneer
GEX-FM903XM
Universal XM Satellite Digital Tuner System
(may no longer be available)

I converted the CD-CHANGER port on the Monsson headunit to RCA-INPUT with the GM9-AUX adapter from PIE:
http://www.myradiostore.us/auxadapte...r/gm9-aux.html

I converted the Pioneer IP-BUS OUTPUT to RCA-OUTPUT with the PIO/P-RCA adapter from PIE:
http://www.myradiostore.us/auxadapte...oneer-rca.html

To connect the two, I just used a 12 foot RCA patch cable I bought at Best Buy.

Cost Breakdown:
Pionner receiver ------------- $100
Terk slim XM antenna ------ $50
Adapter Cables -------------- $110
RCA Patch Cable ------------ $20
--------------------------------------
Total -------------------------- $280

I did it in stages to break up the cost. I installed the receiver using the built-in FM transmitter for a while, but eventually got fed-up with the static and noise that would creap-in over FM. Then I bought the adapter cables. The sound quality is much better because it is a direct connection.

There maybe some adapter cables or kit to allow you to directly connect your Sirius kit to the Monsoon headunit.

There are other setups available now. A great place to buy XM stuff and Adapter Cables is www.myradiostore.com. You can find installation kits there now instead of piecing it together like I did.

Here is a picture of my xm unit:
(before the adapter cables)
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...chmentid=11356

Here is a picture of the wired remote:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...achmentid=1352
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...achmentid=1353

As fas as XM vs. Sirius....
* XM has slightly better sound quality
* XM has 3 times more subscribers
* XM is $10 a month and Sirius is $13 a month
* Sirius has no comercial on all channels, XM has no comercials on music channels but some on news/talk/sports
* Compare the channel line-ups and choose what is right for you. I preferecd XM's line-up and went with that.

EDIT:
I updated the links since the site has changed a bit.

Also, here is a more accurate picture of the GM9-AUX:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uMpjBwq...arch=gm9%2Daux

EDIT 2:
I also later installed a line-driver/pre-amp to boost the signal:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/275152-line-driver-pre-amp.html

Last edited by VIP1; 09-26-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Sirius has the year prepay for $99. which makes is less than $10 a month.

Here at Radioshack we carry the sirius radio, prices break down like this.
Receiver=$100.
Car kit w/ fm modulator=$50
Home kit=$50
Boombox kit=$100

12.95 month to month
100 for a year
500 for life.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:23 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed quite a few XM and Sirius units , never seemed to get nearly as many reception complaints/problems with the XM , plus the antenna is a lot smaller and less visible on the XMs.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

One thing nobody ever mentions is that the small XM antenna works fine when plugged into a Sirius receiver. I have both XM and Sirius - I use one on my bike and the other in the car. I can switch them back and forth whenever I want without switching antennas and the reception is the same.

Sirius has many more ground repeaters than XM so your chances of getting good reception in a city are often better. Outside the city, I find that XM tends to have more consistent signal strength.

Personally, I prefer the programming on Sirius but that is something you have to decide for yourself. The current $99 special makes Sirius price competitive with XM. But watch out for the $500 lifetime subscription - it's for the lifetime of your receiver not for your lifetime. If you decide to upgrade to a newer receiver in a few years then you lose the balance of the "lifetime" subscription.

Clarion recently released a small (relatively speaking) all-in-one Sirius receiver that is about the size of the XM Delphi SkyFi and uses the same kind of drop-in cradle. It is the reason I decided to give Sirius a try - all the other Sirius receivers were too bulky.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:56 PM
Launching!

From what I've heard, XM has a "deeper" playlist, while Sirius is more "hit based". I can vouch for the XM deep playlist, how is Sirius' programming? (I'm toying with the idea of using my SkyFi and a Sirius ready reciever to have both...)
Old 07-19-2004, 06:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by PFDarkside
From what I've heard, XM has a "deeper" playlist, while Sirius is more "hit based". I can vouch for the XM deep playlist, how is Sirius' programming? (I'm toying with the idea of using my SkyFi and a Sirius ready reciever to have both...)
That's a pretty good comparison. The best way to check out the programming on Sirius is to listen online at www.sirius.com. Both services offer online samples but Sirius uses the actual programming in real time whereas XM has a prerecorded sample loop for each channel.

BTW, before anyone accuses us of being crazy spending for both services...a second XM receiver subscription would have cost another $7 per month and with a special that Sirius was offering earlier (similar to the current promotion) I was able to get it for $10 per month. I figured the variety and the chance to compare the two services was worth the extra $3.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:29 AM
Launching!

I didn't realize one could listen online to Sirius. I knew that if you are a subscriber you can stream their channels, but I like the live feed sample.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Teching In

If you have dish network you can listen to sirius channels.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the monsoon system with sirius in my car, I could'nt live without it. I used Kenwoods hardware with their fm modulator unit. The display fits perfectly under the ac controls (with 2 way 3m adheidsive strips) and is angled in the right position so that it can be seen. My car is an M6 with a shortened pro 5.0 stick and the display does'nt get in the way of the shifter. The brain I mounted behind the factory changer and screwed it into the pinch well (excess metal where the wheel well joins the quarter panel) so it's solid. You'll need 2 gm antenna adaptors and that's pretty much it. Not too bad of an install really.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:22 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
You'll need 2 gm antenna adaptors and that's pretty much it. Not too bad of an install really.
You could hook up the FM Transmitter directly to the antenna in the spare tire well and save yourself some money and trouble. The power antenna in the Firebird uses an aftermarket size/shape plug to connect to the extension that runs the length of the vehicle to the headunit.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

I use xm currently. I love it. Never really have any issues with service other than going thru the underground tunnels.

Saw sirrus offers 6 techno stations and quite a few more sports stations. That may attract some more folks to it. I know my mom, an avid Elvis fan, wants sirrus now that I told her there is an elvis 24/7 channel ( hehe

I cant live without my techno and comedy chennels
Old 07-24-2004, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mhulslan
It is just as easy to get a satellite radio system for your factory HU. Make sure you get one with the FM modulator, though.

On a side note, I've tried both, and I do prefer XM to Sirius. The difference is in the satellites. XM has 2 satellites in geosynchronous orbit. They never move from their relative positions. Sirius has three satellites, but they are not geosynchronous. You can and will get signal fade on occasion.
Wrong.

XM has 2 Boeing HS702 Satellites in a parallel geostationary orbit. You are correct that they do not move over the earth though. There are other differences such as statistical multiplexing, which means the Sirius channels can share bandwidth, which allows for better sound quality. With XM if a particular song is extremely dynamic and falls outside the bandwidth allocation of that station it will be lost.

Sirius has 3 SS/L 1300 satellites forming a geosyncronous orbit, or you may know it as an inclined elliptical satellite constelation. Each sat. is over the united states for 16 hours a day. At least one is over the US at all times. Due to the non-stationary orbit, sat. coverage area for Sirius is FAR better than that of XM. XM relies heavily upon ground repeaters, and you and I both know how well those work (cell phones??) The state of Oklahoma has 0 sat coverage from XM, it is all ground repeaters, and we are in the middle of the US.

If you are using an FM modulated system, then you wont notice the sound quality anyhow. You are getting CD quality sound but are going to degrade it to FM anyhow. Look at both channel lineups and see which you like better. If you are an NFL fan, go with sirius cause they have every NFL game. If you are a Nascar fan, go with XM, cause sirius doesn't have that channel.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by retsell
...If you are using an FM modulated system, then you wont notice the sound quality anyhow. You are getting CD quality sound but are going to degrade it to FM anyhow. Look at both channel lineups and see which you like better. If you are an NFL fan, go with sirius cause they have every NFL game. If you are a Nascar fan, go with XM, cause sirius doesn't have that channel....
As an additional note... not all FM modulators are created equal. The wireless FM modulators tend to produce output on a par with a distant FM radio station while the direct-wired modulators (those that plug in to the antenna cable) can produce sound quality somewhere between that of CD and a local FM station. This is because it eliminates the multiplexing that occurs with over-the-air broadcasts caused by reflections from buildings and other large objects. In the noisy interior of a car (especially our cars), the difference in quality between a good FM modulator and a CD is barely noticeable.

Disclaimer: the above quality comparison is based on average listeners. Those of you who live and breathe audio systems will be more likely to notice the difference. My point is that while an auxiliary input will provide the best sound, a good modulator may be a more practical option for many of us without introducing too much sound quality degradation.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up

Well, might as well chime in here...
I treated myself to satellite radio on my birthday two weeks ago. (Like anyone else was going to...
As a GM employee, I'm exposed to XM on a regular basis. I also did a lot of online listening and then did an online search for "satellite radio comparison."
BUT...XM is openly available. Sirius requires registration and a password.
I went out and spent a Saturday afternoon shopping. Believe me, it was one hell of a dilemma on which to pick!
The day that I purchased, July 17th, Circuit City was having a sale on both XM and Sirius components.
Things I noticed:
-XM (Delphi SkyFi -their only unit available for home, auto, portable use) and Sirius (Audiovox SIRPNP2)) receivers were priced at $89.99 and are extremely similar in design.
-XM (Delphi) and Sirius (Audiovox) boomboxes were priced at $89.99
-XM currently has a higher model boom box type radio that features XM on one side, and then flip over the receiver (swings on a bar on the base unit with speakers on either end) and you have a CD player and AM/FM receiver. Cost: $199. Sirius does not have this option...yet.
-XM home and mobile base units were $62.99 each. The mobile unit required or provided a cassette plug-in module. The Sirius home and mobile units were only $44.99 and included a WIRELESS FM modulator. No cassette needed.
-XM and Sirius both feature Kenwood component receivers for those desiring high end stereo performance. Cost: $299.
-XM is always $9.99 a month subscription. Sirius is astutely fighting that selling point at present with their own $9.95 per month subscription.
-XM online listening requires the purchase of a $49 piece of hardware (XMPCR). Sirius allows FREE online streaming music via account and password info without the purchase of any hardware for ALL its subscribers.
-Online comparisons suggest, and I concur, that the XM satellite programming is aimed at an "older" audience. Sirius is aimed at a younger, hipper audience as far as the content is concerned.
In the end, after much comparison shopping (Best Buy was at least $20+ higher on all components!!!), I decided to go with Sirius without ever HEARING the company's music selections live. It came down to the choice of hardware, the lower price, the recommendation of my best friend who just happened to call me while I was standing in Circuit City pulling my hair out over making a decision, and the channel selection.
Come NFL season, you'll hate yourself if you choose XM. I just didn't care for their choice of music.
Since I brought my Sirius Audiovox SIRPNP2 home and plugged it in, WOW! is all I can say. This is what radio was always meant to be!!! I'm getting a mobile docking station installed in both my 2002 Firehawk Trans Am and my 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix so I can use it every day of the week.
As far as reception, I set my antenna (provided with a 20' cable) in my bedroom window facing south, underneath an awning, and I get perfect reception.
The channel selection is awesome, the playslists are chocked full of very popular and familiar choices, not some of the obscure stuff I found on XM stations.
I justified my decision in the end with the fact that I just didn't LIKE a lot of what I was hearing on XM. If I didn't like many of the available stations, there was no point in paying for it. I can't say the same about Sirius.
No matter what kind of music you like, from classical to pop to rock to hip hop to latino to gospel to talk radio, news, sports, comedy and constantly updated traffic and weather, Sirius has programming in both english and spanish for everyone.
My confident and satisfied vote goes to Sirius. Oh, and can't beat that remote control and 30 station presets!!!
Old 07-26-2004, 09:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The Sirius guest registration is a new thing in the past few weeks. You used to be able to put any bogus email address (anyuser@anydomain.com) and it would let you listen for a couple of hours. Now they send you a password at the email address you give and let you listen for three days.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:09 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I dont like most of today's music (and I'm only 25), so I guess I chose right when I chose XM (better/more thorough music selelction instead of a hits parade). I usually listen to the 80's, mid 90's, techno, and comedy stations.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

I have Sirius working through an FM modulator in my Trans Am....... Drove from Phoenix to Denver (12 hours) w/o a single loss of signal..........

Only complaint so far is the REPETITIVE playing of songs.. I've had it for 5 months now and they STILL play a lot of the same damn songs 3-4 times a day on the stations I listen to. What's worse is when I switch to a different station (similar music category) and that songs is ALSO being played on that station. You'd think they'd figure out not to do that????? Seems very disheartening to me that out of the billions of songs they could choose from and all that airtime, they'd have to repeat songs so often .

I don't have any experience with XM.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VIP1
You could hook up the FM Transmitter directly to the antenna in the spare tire well and save yourself some money and trouble. The power antenna in the Firebird uses an aftermarket size/shape plug to connect to the extension that runs the length of the vehicle to the headunit.
Thank you very much -- this saved me a lot of aggravation and a little $.

Quick Reply: Advice on Sirius radio?