Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

custom monitor screen

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 05:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom monitor screen

does anybody have a custom piece for a monitor screen without really messing up anything..id like to know how to do this but just incase i get tired of it..icould always put the stock radio back in..i know they make a head unit screens but those are alittle out of my price range..anybody got any pics..also ive heard you can actually lose some hp from this with the whole elctrical thing..is that true??
Old 07-18-2004, 06:37 PM
Launching!

You mean a carputer? www.digitalww.com has an "in-dash" housing for a lilliput VGA LCD screen. It will fit where an aftermarket radio goes. Almost every screen out there is bigger than the stock radio, so some modifications will have to be done if you want to fiberglass a screen in the dash.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by PFDarkside
You mean a carputer? www.digitalww.com has an "in-dash" housing for a lilliput VGA LCD screen. It will fit where an aftermarket radio goes. Almost every screen out there is bigger than the stock radio, so some modifications will have to be done if you want to fiberglass a screen in the dash.
i was htikning on the lines of somethin like that..but with a trans am and not removing the a/c unit and all that
Attached Thumbnails custom monitor screen-45185130.jpg  
Old 07-18-2004, 07:49 PM
Launching!

The positives to the T/A is that you can remove the bezel and that's all you need to fabricat, unilke the huge panel in the camaro. The negatives are that you'll have to move the HVAC at least a little to get the LCD to fit. But, you should be able to reverse it by moving the controls back, and reinstalling the old bezel.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

This really belongs in "Stereo & Electronics".

Anyway....
In this thread there are some pics of screens:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/190766-show-pics-your-headunits.html

Goto his site for more info:
http://www.thegev.com/carputer.htm

Here is another "carputer" site:
www.mp3car.com
Old 07-19-2004, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

I would just get this: www.avic-n1.com

Old 07-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I think they showed that on one of the car magazine TV shows (maybe Car and Driver) on SpikeTV. Its a cool system (from what I saw on the show). Although a lot of money.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss®
I would just get this: www.avic-n1.com

I wouldn't. You have to have the specific DVD in for it to work. Want to listen to MP3's? Pop in your DVD. Want to get GPS maps? Pop in a different DVD. Want to listen to music and have maps? You're SOL.

That, and the pop-out LCD's aren't my style. I like the ones that are fixed in place. But that's more preference.

I will say this, its performance meters are kickass.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Razzak
I wouldn't. You have to have the specific DVD in for it to work. Want to listen to MP3's? Pop in your DVD. Want to get GPS maps? Pop in a different DVD. Want to listen to music and have maps? You're SOL.
Kind of true... It will load your trip/local maps in the memory, but if you want to edit your itinerary or search for POI's, then you need to insert the disc. It's too bad, because I like the unit other than that. Someone needs to make one with an AUX VGA input and USB touchscreeen out. That would be sweet. I just can't give up my radio and CD player that is ready at an instant to go with a purely PC system.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

If you do a carputer, you can hook up another drive to the other IDE channel, and use it purely for the GPS mapping.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Snootch
If you do a carputer, you can hook up another drive to the other IDE channel, and use it purely for the GPS mapping.
I've also found a standard USB interface mounted conveniently close to the driver works just as well. I don't have one in my car, yet, but I've got about a dozen 4Gb memory keys just waiting for it.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:53 AM
Launching!

what would it entail to integrate what's essentially a g-tech into a carputer?
the avic-n1 has it sorta.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...180326,00.html
Old 07-20-2004, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Run EFILiveV5 and a OBDII adapter.