Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Custom Q-Logic Box Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 07:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool Custom Q-Logic Box Install w/ Pics

This past weekend I installed a custom Q-Logic subwoofer box from Sound Domain. It fits 2 10"s and has a color matched fascia to fit flush with the molding in the trunk. It did not fit as well as it should have for being "CUSTOM" fit for my car, but with a little work (as you'll see in the pics) I got it to fit pretty well. Took me and my buddy about 3 hours to do the whole thing (including removing the existing box and wires and remounting everything). Thought you all might enjoy the install, and this might give a little insight to anyone thinking about doing the same thing.

Pics of the Install

Last edited by ArcticZ28; 07-19-2004 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with that box is that q-logic never changed it to fit the 99 and up cars. 1999 is when gm changed the hatch lock configuration. So I'm guessing the box wasn't notched correctly around your lock which is larger than the 93-98s. You would think they'd know better. But they don't.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:21 AM
TECH Resident

Also, Q-logic doesn't make a t-top friendly enclosure. Noce work, though.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you think the holes for the speakers are big enough for 12's? It makes sense that Q-logic would make one size of ABS cover to use with both 10's and 12's. Anyone know?

Also, what holds the ABS cover onto the box?
Old 10-26-2005, 01:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wow, this is an old thread. I couldn't even remember when I did this, I had to look at the dates I'm not sure if two 12's would fit, although I thought they did offer this in a dual 12 setup, but I'm not 100% sure. It's been a real long time. As for the ABS cover, here's how it goes: you put the cover on the box how you want it, then drill holes through the cover and box for the subs, then you screw the subs into the box with the ABS sandwiched between.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Wow, this is an old thread.
Just doing my duty by searching and not making a new post to clog things up.

So the subs just sandwich the cover in place? Sounds kind of cheap. The cover doesn't rattle on big bass notes, does it?

Still have yours? How's it holding up?
Old 10-26-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nah, it's in there pretty good. I do still have it and it's holding up perfect.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Just doing my duty by searching and not making a new post to clog things up.

So the subs just sandwich the cover in place? Sounds kind of cheap. ?
Yes, it is for the most part.... For one, the speaker holes in the box (as well as the holes in the plastic cover) are 11" in diameter 'exact'. So if your sub calls for a larger hole than 11 inches, then you'll have to cut both pieces to make it large enough to fit your woofer. And since the subs seat flush against the hard plastic cover, you need to use gaskets in order to get them to seal properly. Which is challenging anyway because you actually have two potential places for leaks. One between the subs and plastic, but also between the plastic and the surface of the box. Which wouldn't be so bad, but the enclosure part of the box is made out of particle board and not mdf. So after a couple times zipping the screws in and out, the holes in the particle board crumble and strip out which doesn't allow you to torque the screws down to stop the leaks. So for what the thing costs, they should've at least used mdf. A couple bux per box wouldn't have killed them and they would last longer and sound much better.

All in all, it's a decent idea for a box, I just dunno why they use inferior wood and why the didn't make them to fit all years without cutting. Lack of R&D I guess. Or maybe the ppl designing them don't drive camaros to see the major faults in this box.

Last edited by megabass; 10-26-2005 at 07:49 PM.