Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Installed an Eclipse headunit and no sound to the rear doors?

Old 07-20-2004, 12:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed an Eclipse headunit and no sound to the rear doors?

I just put in an Eclipse 5423 h/u in my 1998 4DR Tahoe. I used the proper wire harness adapter and every color coded wire was matched perfectly. The problem is I have no sound to my rear passenger door speakers now. I have sound to both front doors and to the rear speakers above the tailgate doors.

There were orginally two separate wire harnesses that plugged into the factory h/u but the harness adapter for the Eclipse h/u only had enough wires for the larger harness. I think the second harness controlled the stand alone cd player right? Is it possible that the rear passenger door speakers run to that second smaller harness?
Old 07-22-2004, 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

Hey fastta you nee to find the speaker wires for the rear doors in each sill panel something happens when you install a new radio. as afr as the second plug that is usually there if you had the factory slave unit CD player in the lower area of the dash. Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VinMan2
Hey fastta you nee to find the speaker wires for the rear doors in each sill panel something happens when you install a new radio. as afr as the second plug that is usually there if you had the factory slave unit CD player in the lower area of the dash. Hope this helps.
wrong.

Just take out the CD-player and hook the blue white wire from the eclipse to the blue wire from the aftermarket harness. It will work at that point. There is a small amp that drives the rear doors only. If that still doesn't work, then the amp is broken and needs to be bypassed.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by retsell
wrong.

Just take out the CD-player and hook the blue white wire from the eclipse to the blue wire from the aftermarket harness. It will work at that point. There is a small amp that drives the rear doors only. If that still doesn't work, then the amp is broken and needs to be bypassed.
Thanks, but the blue wire on the aftermarket adapter harness is labeled "power antenna".

Can you be more specific.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fastta
Thanks, but the blue wire on the aftermarket adapter harness is labeled "power antenna".

Can you be more specific.
The same wire controls the factory amplifier. Trust me. If you hook up the blue to blue, the rear speakers will only work when the radio is on, not the cd.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Not wrong,,, just another way to do it. I said to do it that way because of how often that little factory amp goes out. Sorry to go against the wanna be Mr. know-it-all. Just goes to show you there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

Not wrong,,, just another way to do it. I said to do it that way because of how often that little factory amp goes out. Sorry to go against the wanna be Mr. know-it-all. Just goes to show you there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Why bypass a perfectly good amplifier? If it breaks then you can bypass it. I would say you were wrong because you said it happens when you remove the factory amp. That is not true, it will work fine if you energize the remote turn on. If the amp does break (I would say a 20% failure rate after 5 years) then you can bypass it. Not trying to be rude, hell, you may not have known. You never learn anything unless someone tells you.

Also, what makes me a "wanna be"? Because I know about car audio? Call me a know-it-all as much as you want, but "wanna be"? I've been working as an installer for quite some time, I've learned a lot of the tricks and mistakes that people make. It also bothers me how much misinformation takes place in these car audio forums. I get so many cars that come in for me to fix mistakes made by those who follow this misinformation.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

I said a wanna be know it all. Which means you can't be wrong. I have been an installer for 17 years. I gave him the solution I would use, you gave him yours, either way they both work. Neither one of us is "wrong". I bypass the factory amp everytime just so I dont get a comeback. In my "opinion" factory amplifiers shouldn't be used with aftermarket radios and speakers. BUT thats just one person's opinion. Sorry I got worked up but I got offended by being told I was wrong when the solution would work.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

I said a wanna be know it all. Which means you can't be wrong. I have been an installer for 17 years. I gave him the solution I would use, you gave him yours, either way they both work. Neither one of us is "wrong". I bypass the factory amp everytime just so I dont get a comeback. In my "opinion" factory amplifiers shouldn't be used with aftermarket radios and speakers. BUT thats just one person's opinion. Sorry I got worked up but I got offended by being told I was wrong when the solution would work.
It would work. I just avoid the practice for several reasons. For one, some systems you cannot bypass the amp and it still work (bose systems in certain vehicles run 1 ohm speakers) Also, when bypassing the factory amp in tahoes the rear doors are not loud enough for most customers to hear unless you have aftermarket speakers all around.

I personally hate rear speakers. My truck has none. I think it pulls your sound stage back. I personally don't care if rear seat passengers have audio, its my truck I like it.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:05 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys.

retsell, your solution worked perfectly. Thanks for the good advice.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fastta
Thanks guys.

retsell, your solution worked perfectly. Thanks for the good advice.
Anytime.

Search this Thread