Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New Cure for front speakers hittin panels!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Cure for front speakers hittin panels!?

I think I've possibly found the most cost effective cure for front speakers hitting the door panels. All I did was remove the foam from behind the plastic speaker bracket, along with the small foam ring the screws drill into on the side where the speaker mounts . That was the only extra clearance the speaker needed! I used a silicone ring on the back of the speaker bracket, and where the speaker screws to the bracket- inplace of the foam- and then covered any gaps between the metal and the pastic bracket with silicone as well. Now my JL 6.5's don't hit the door panels! Any opinions on this idea?
Old 07-20-2004, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as the driver is mounted solidly, and the seal is airtight, it'll work well. Good job.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up getting a set of custom baffles that lowered the speaker closer to the door. The stock baffles allowed the speaker to protrude too far and hit the door panel. These were made from plywood and uses a fourth screw as well.