Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stock sterep amp help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 12:20 PM
Sweet Cheeks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock sterep amp help ASAP

Okay, I want to take out my rear hatch speakers and that heavy *** amp in the passenger rear, but will I still be able to use the front door speakers? The car's a 99 Camaro with the stock Monsoon speakers and an Alpine face. Basically what can I delete if I just want to run the front two speakers? Backseat speakers? Thanks.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:29 PM
Launching!

The headunit powers all four tweeters (front door and hatch) the rest of the speakers are powered by the Monsoon amp. You could run front speakers from your Alpine by doing two things:
1. Buy replacement front speakers (coaxial)
2. Connect the tweeter connector to the new speakers (you can get a pigtail connector that plugs into the stock connector on one end and gives you speaker terminals on the other)

Then you can remove all the other components (amp, sail and hatch speakers) and have a two channel system.

(This would work on the Firebird Monsoon, can a Camaro guy confirm?)
Old 07-27-2004, 02:21 PM
Sweet Cheeks

Okay so it is possible to run just the front door speakers then. I can remove everything else (speakers and monsoon amp in the rear)? Thanks. I'll have to have my boy wire it up.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

http://members.aol.com/kustomz28/monsoon/monsoon.html

BTW, the Monsoon amp is very small.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:58 PM
Sweet Cheeks

Are you talking about that big black box in the passenger rear by the wheel well? It looks pretty big to me?
Old 07-27-2004, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Hmm... I guess it's all relative. I haven't taken mine out (yet) but I can't imagine that thing weighing much. I'm sure the Zapco and Xtant amps I'm replacing mine with weigh a bit more
Old 07-28-2004, 07:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

ehh... if youre looking to save weight you'll gain about .000000000000001 in your 1/4 mile time by losing the amp, it really doenst weigh much. Anyway though if you pull it you'll need to take the door speakers out and replace em with standard coaxials since the factory ones are bi-amped. just use the tweeter wires and make sure if there is an inline crossover (firebirds have it) you bypass it.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:44 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Gotcha. Also, I'll be removing the amp, rear speakers, interior panels, and all the wiring. It adds up. Thanks guys.