Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Turn signal sucks, used search.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 06:56 PM
Sweet Cheeks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turn signal sucks, used search.

Okay, all of my turn signal bulbs are working and lit. I replaced the 552 relay under the steering wheel and my left signal stays lit and doesn't flash. What gives? Thanks.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

You know for sure they are all working? Staying on is a surefire indicator of a blown...err indicator.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:52 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Yeah, the front signals work, the rears stay solid, and the 3rd brake light too. I just replaced the 552 flasher unit under the wheel on the drivers side. That's the flasher for the turn signals right? There were two units, one to the passenger side and one toward the driver. I replaced the driver. Grrrrr! I don't get it!? Anyone?
Old 07-29-2004, 05:35 AM
Staging Lane

The right one is the flasher for turn signals.The left flasher is hazard.You might want to change the right flasher.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

If one side works but the other doesn't then it can't be the flasher. Both sides run off the same flasher. I hate to sound patronizing but you need to check your left side bulbs one more time. The easiest way is to put on the hazard flashers and then walk around the car to see what doesn't flash.

The flasher works somewhat like a household thermostat. Current flow through it causes heat which makes the bimetal contact arm disengage; it then cools and reconnects. A burned out bulb will prevent enough current from flowing to properly heat the arm so the lights stay on. If it's not a bulb then you've got a bad ground or corroded socket on the left side that is reducing current flow.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:12 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Yeah, see the right turn signals work, but not the left. I'll double check the bulbs. Also, are the flashers the same 552s for the hazards and the turn signals?
Old 07-29-2004, 10:21 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Not exactly. They are both 2-pin thermal/mechanical flashers but the hazard flasher (#552) is more heavy duty than the turn signal flasher (#323). The difference is because the hazard flasher handles twice as many bulbs so the current draw is greater. You could use a #552 as a turn signal flasher but the signals would flash much more slowly.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:41 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Okay, I'll replace the #323 today and hopefully that'll fix it. I think the guy said that if the rights flash and the lefts don't that it's not the relay? We'll see.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yep, that's what I said - the flasher IS NOT causing the problem if one side still works.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:29 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Hmm, okay. So the flasher light are the turn signals as well I take it? I'll just throw the flashers and check the bulbs again.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

where do you buy these relays from, im having the same problem?
Old 08-22-2004, 12:08 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by tars7
where do you buy these relays from, im having the same problem?
It's called a "flasher" although it works in a very similar way to a relay. You would confuse the parts counter guy calling it a relay because there is also a turn signal relay as well as the flasher - the relay enables the circuit but the flasher makes the lights blink.

Once again, if one side works but the other doesn't then the flasher is not the problem. Only if both sides don't flash would the flasher probably be the problem. (If this is the case, you can buy a replacement flasher at any parts store - Pep Boys, Auto Zone, etc. - even WalMart probably has them.)

Check for a bulb not lighting on the side that doesn't flash. That bulb is burned out or the socket is corroded (or possibly there is a bad ground there). The easiest way to check the bulbs is to turn on the hazard flashers and walk around the car looking for the unlit bulb. Unlike the turn signals, the hazards will flash even with a bulb burned out so the bad bulb will be obvious.

Quick Reply: Turn signal sucks, used search.