Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

need help: keyless entry remotes not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help: keyless entry remotes not working

Both of my factory alarm remotes don't work. It's not the battery that's affecting it. what can i do? any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You may need to rematch the remotes to your car. The procedure is in the owners manual but I'll give the short form here:

1. Turn ignition to RUN then off again to be sure the alarm is disabled. Make sure parking brake is engaged.
2. Remove the RADIO fuse.
3. Turn the key from OFF to RUN three times quickly (within 5 seconds). The doors will lock, the drivers door will unlock and the hatch will release.
4. Press and hold both the lock and unlock buttons on the remote for 15 seconds. Once again the doors will lock and unlock as above.
5. Repeat step 4 for each remaining remote.
6. Turn the key OFF and replace the RADIO fuse.
7. Test that your remotes now work.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 08-03-2004 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:47 PM
Teching In

it worked like a charm man. thanks a lot
Old 12-18-2004, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

theres 4 places to turn the key to how do you know which one is which? Also i tried that and it didnt do anything.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

"RUN" is the position the key is in when the car is running. It is when you turn the key forward until just before the "START" (spring loaded) position. Trust me, if you have the factory keyless entry or alarm, and you do it right, the procedure works.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
"RUN" is the position the key is in when the car is running. It is when you turn the key forward until just before the "START" (spring loaded) position. Trust me, if you have the factory keyless entry or alarm, and you do it right, the procedure works.
I did it myself tonight -- bought a used Z with missing remotes and used the old remotes from another car. The other good thing is, the old remotes (wherever they may be) aren't valid anymore.
If you're having trouble:
Just turn the key to where the AC comes on, then just a single click back. The 3rd time your car should do all sorts of fun stuff with door locks and the trunk release. The manual is also very specific that the RADIO fuse (fusebox inside driver door near the headlight ****, bottom right 15amp fuse). My fusebox cover is MIA so I had to look that one up. Hope it helps, this is a VERY handy thing to know.