Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Dual 12" subs installed with stock monsoon h/d unit:D

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dual 12" subs installed with stock monsoon h/d unit:D

i had my dual 12" subs from my old camaro and lanzar amp so i figured i would try to install it. being that the only head unit i had available i loaned to a friend and it sucked anyway, i didnt mind the stock cd player so i figured i would install it without replacing the head unit. so i bought a line out convertor from radio shack a long time ago that takes 4 speaker wires and converts it to rca's, i forget how much i paid for it like $20 or something. then i took some speaker wire and soldiered the convertor wires to the rear speakers in the hatch. hooked all the wiring up for the amp and subs, turned it on, wow, it worked!!! sounds goood too is damn loud and havent even turned the amp past 1/4 volume.

setup:
Lanzar vibe 410 600watt 4channel amp
Dual 12" hifonic power from the gods
Custom well box

pics from my old camaro, looks about the same:

Old 08-04-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Thats all you did? I thought it was some lengthy process to add subs to these 4th gens! Does your 98 SS have a Monsoon system? My 99 SS has the cheap *** 200watt Monsoon and it SUCKS! I want some more bass and this would be the way to go, at least until I save up to upgrade the whole system and I make up my mind on what I want!
Old 08-04-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 14u2nv
Thats all you did? I thought it was some lengthy process to add subs to these 4th gens! Does your 98 SS have a Monsoon system? My 99 SS has the cheap *** 200watt Monsoon and it SUCKS! I want some more bass and this would be the way to go, at least until I save up to upgrade the whole system and I make up my mind on what I want!
yup thats all, easy stuff man yes i have the monsoon system. thats exactly what i was saying, ill hook it up this way and then later on when i feel like it ill upgrade.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:57 PM
Teching In

nice job on the sub install. I am looking to do something very similar. Where did you wire your remote lead on the amp to. I want to use a line level to rca on the hatch speakers too and dont really want to take apart my dash.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

looks good, i want to add a sub and replace the rear speakers to my, using the monsoon headunit, but i am wondering on the pros and cons of adding an amp, is it essential? what exactly does it do?
Old 08-29-2004, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by verde372
nice job on the sub install. I am looking to do something very similar. Where did you wire your remote lead on the amp to. I want to use a line level to rca on the hatch speakers too and dont really want to take apart my dash.
the remote wire is run to the fuse box inside the car on the drivers side. i just wrap the wire on one of the leads of the fuse for the radio.

Originally Posted by transambandit
looks good, i want to add a sub and replace the rear speakers to my, using the monsoon headunit, but i am wondering on the pros and cons of adding an amp, is it essential? what exactly does it do?
well the stock sounds system is 2ohm, and aftermarket is 4 ohm, so you wont put out the potential of the sub by just replacing the stock one, but it will work. with an amp you will have the appropriate power that the sub was designed for, getting the most of what you paid for. ive never tested the difference but it would be better for sure.

Quick Reply: Dual 12" subs installed with stock monsoon h/d unit:D