Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

GM9-AUX installation in Firebird?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM9-AUX installation in Firebird?

Hi guys. I've got a '97 WS6 TA w/ Monsoon sound system. 1/2 the speakers are blown but that is another story (cheap OEM speakers!). I've hated my CD changer for quite a while (OEM Delco 12-disc in trunk) because it constantly mishandles discs and causes the CD player to go offline.

So I now have an iPod-mini and bought the PIE GM9-AUX to connect it to the head unit. Taking out the head unit was amazingly easy, I can't believe how easy these stereos come out (scary really, would be easy to steal). Anyway, I disconnected the CD-changer cable from the HU, connected the cable from the PIE adapter to the HU, and connected the OEM 9-pin CD cable to the PIE cable.

Turned on the stereo and was still able to access the Delco changer. Turned stereo off, connected PIE cable to PIE adapter box, then connected iPod to adapter box via RCA. Turned stereo on, got nothing to play when CD selected.

Turned radio off, disconnected OEM cd cable from PIE cable. Still nothing. Connected it back, and then disconnected OEM cd cable from CD player in trunk. Still nothing. iPod is connected via headphone port, this works fine on boom box with mini-RCA->RCA adapter.

Any ideas on why I get no sound from iPod?

Thanks,
-Jason
Old 08-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonp
...Turned stereo off, connected PIE cable to PIE adapter box, then connected iPod to adapter box via RCA. Turned stereo on, got nothing to play when CD selected...
I am confused about the part highlighted in bold. After you got the CD changer working through the PIE adapter, you should have been able to unplug the factory changer cable from the adapter and plug in the iPod to the RCA jacks. Actually, you could leave the changer plugged in as well as connecting the iPod but they would both play at the same time (sounds awful).

What PIE cable did you connect to the adapter? You didn't make a loop of the cable coming out of the adapter back into the box, did you?

You should start with the GM9-AUX plugged into the CD changer port on the back of the radio with nothing else plugged into the adapter. You should then have a cable that has a mini stereo headphone plug on one end and two RCA plugs on the other end (get this from any electronics store or even WalMart). Plug the mini plug end into the iPod and the RCAs into the PIE adapter and it should work.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PIE GM9-AUX is two parts: a small adapter box that has RCA inputs, and a cable that connects between the HU and the adapter box.

I got it working! Neglected to disconnect the battery before I did the install. Did that this morning and the radio started playing music from the iPod. Sweet! Apparently doing that
reset some setting in the radio that allowed it to recognize the new sound input.

Does anyone know if the '97 Monsoon sound system can handle both the adapter and
the CD changer? The documentation says it can't but it doesn't differentiate between
Monsoon and non-Monsoon.

-Jason
Old 08-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The GM9-AUX I bought a couple of months ago was different - the cable was not separate.

I doubt the changer and the iPod can both be connected on a 97. PIE's documentation says that you must have a 2001 or newer to be able to control more than one external device. I didn't believe them and bought one for my 2000 Monsoon system with changer. It worked but just as they said, both the CD changer and my satellite radio would play at the same time. I couldn't switch between them.

Quick Reply: GM9-AUX installation in Firebird?