Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

power wire through firewall

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power wire through firewall

Hey guys, please help me out here. Where does everyone run thier power wires through the firewall on the F-bods for power for aftermarket amps? I'm running them on the passenger side of course and just wanted to see where the best place is. I done a search and just didn't get anything for F-bods, only trucks.
Wolfee
Old 08-13-2004, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wolfee
Hey guys, please help me out here. Where does everyone run thier power wires through the firewall on the F-bods for power for aftermarket amps? I'm running them on the passenger side of course and just wanted to see where the best place is. I done a search and just didn't get anything for F-bods, only trucks.
Wolfee
Look in the engine bay, passenger side, right at the firewall, you'll see the ECU. It's secured to the car by a plastic cradle/bracket. Unscrew the two screws, jimmy it out a bit, then release the side tabs holding the ECU in the bracket. Carefully lift and move the ECU out of the way. (No need to disconnect the connectors) On the firewall, you'll see a grommet. It's a large outer hole with a small harness passing though. It passes into the passenger compartment up under the dash, remove the kick panel to get to it. I made a small hole with the awl tool on a swiss army knife and ran the wire through, then sealed it with some RTV. You should be good to go after (carefully) replacing the ECU. I say carefully, because there definately is a chance of scratching your fender if you're not careful...
Old 08-13-2004, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks PFDarkside,
I started to remove those screws that hold the plastic ECM holder but one broke as soon as I started to turn it out. So I thought I'd ask before I tried and eventually broke the other. Thank you very much!!
Wolfee
Old 08-15-2004, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Push the wire from the inside. once it is in to the engine bay you will be able to see it and grab it. Be patient this is very frustrating. Easiest to move the seat all the way back, then you can lay on your back on the floor. It's a little bit tricky.