Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

remote start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default remote start.

Has anyone heard of a way to hook up a remote start to a m6 car.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:25 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep you can do it , i won't tell you how because if your car is started in gear (and it will move ) i don't wanna be liable for you killing somebody . there's a company that makes remote starts for manual transmission cars , VERY BAD IDEA !!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2004, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thats why u make sure its not in gear and I never leave my in gear when parked thats what the e brake is there for. Wont the car stall out with the e brake on anyway because it would bog it down just like starting off in a higher gear. If u know the name of the company I would like to look into it and I would say that they would be liable before u.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:12 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

i've seen first hand what happens when you put a remote start on a manual transmission. go to any car stereo shop and ask to have one installed . nobody in their right mind will do it. even if you sign a waiver , they are still legally liable because they knew it wasn't safe to do so . the car will still move unless your parking brake is so tight that it's overadjusted. all it takes is one time for the car to try to start in gear , someone standing in front of it and a wall and you're totally screwed .this really is a very ,very bad idea,
Old 08-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Aaaaaaaactually, there is a remote start for manual transmissions that is perfectly safe, but it is a big pain in the **** to use. They way it works is you put the car in nuetral, pull the e-brake, then you take your key out and the car CONTINUES running, you get out, shut the door and an automatic timer shuts the car off. Then and only then can you use the remote start feature. It only works if the car shuts itself down like that, any other way and it doesn't work. I forget who makes this but that's how it works and it sounds totally safe to me becuase if you don't follow the procedure it doesn't work. Just my point that a remote start on a manual car is not a death trap when done properly.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah thats what ive discovered too. Searching the net for remote start for manuals there are quite a few who do em. I heard of the one your talking about and also one with magnets that line up when in nuetral and wont line up if in gear therefore no start.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

I have an autopage paging system on my M6 and I quickly passed on the offer to add the remote start. I could still do it for another $50 (remote has the buttons) but for reasons stated earlier, I would say no sir. I NEVER leave my car in gear, but I know the one time I would- would be the time a friend asks to look at my pager and hits the wrong button. Unless you got some crazy fail safe setup, I would pass and turn the damn thing on yourself. Also, I live in Texas, so cold really isn't a factor, but the autopage system has a program with a thermometer and if it is freezing, you can have it start your car every 2 hours and run for 15 minutes to keep the motor warm over night. Weather would be my only justification for an autostart. Just my $.02
Old 08-15-2004, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I install remote start systems very often. First, even with the Ebrake up the car will NOT die. It will slowly roll the car untill something bad happens. Second, all can be avoided if you hook up a neutral safety switch which our cars do have. You can just leave it in Neutral and not have to worry about it.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so with this nuetral safety switch if ur not in nuetral it wouldn't let the remote start the car am i correct bc ive heard of something like this and it would make the remote start safe then bc if u left it in gear and tried to start it it wouldn't. The main reason I want it is because it gets real cold and I have to leave in the early am hours for work. Also are their alarm systems that would work with an m6 and remote start.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

the alarms are universal. The neutral safety switch is just a ground when in neutral. I myself just ground the wire and not worry about it. You will need an immobilizer bypass or a resistor though.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frontman
Aaaaaaaactually, there is a remote start for manual transmissions that is perfectly safe, but it is a big pain in the **** to use. They way it works is you put the car in nuetral, pull the e-brake, then you take your key out and the car CONTINUES running, you get out, shut the door and an automatic timer shuts the car off. Then and only then can you use the remote start feature. It only works if the car shuts itself down like that, any other way and it doesn't work. I forget who makes this but that's how it works and it sounds totally safe to me becuase if you don't follow the procedure it doesn't work. Just my point that a remote start on a manual car is not a death trap when done properly.
This is the kind of remote start I had on my previous car that had an M6, it is completely safe, just as safe as any remote start for an A4. But as stated above it is a pain to use, on mine I had to do everything as stated above but with no timer, you had to get out of the car when it was running with the emergency brake on (no way you can do this with the car in gear) and hit a button on the remote to shut the car off, only then could you restart it using the remote start. Too much of a PIA for me to get it on my new car though!
Old 08-15-2004, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by f-bodman
This is the kind of remote start I had on my previous car that had an M6, it is completely safe, just as safe as any remote start for an A4. But as stated above it is a pain to use, on mine I had to do everything as stated above but with no timer, you had to get out of the car when it was running with the emergency brake on (no way you can do this with the car in gear) and hit a button on the remote to shut the car off, only then could you restart it using the remote start. Too much of a PIA for me to get it on my new car though!

thats rediculous. When installed properly theres NO DIFFERENCE in operation between the 2.

I myself would go with a viper 791 unit...available on ebay for roughly 200~
Old 08-15-2004, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Clifford had a unit that had a switch that you had to flick to arm the remote start. You also had to leave the car in neutral, I dont recall how it knew you werent in gear. So youd shut the car off, flick the switch, then you can remote start it.

IIRC though the place i worked that instaled it still managed to have an idiot crash is mustang through his and his across the street neighbors garage when he remote started.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats bc people who drive mustangs arent 2 bright. I think I gng with an alarm and get the remote start and just go through the steps that u have 2 to start it. It a long process but Im not plannning on using it everytime I start the car anyway just when its cold and I don't want to go outside to start it.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

i had a remote start on my M6 camaro, it was was a clifford matrix 3.5. if i left the car in neutral, it would start, but in gear, it wouldn't even turn over. (I always leave my car in 4th) so the car rolling was not an issue. also remeber if you get a big cam, a remote start will not work becasue it reads the tach, and mine would either stall, or over rev

it can be done, i had it for 2 years without a problem. just be smart with it, if you dont know what your doing, have someone hook it up for you
Old 08-17-2004, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool thanks so if I do heads, cam and headers the remote starts not going to work or is it possible to get one that can be adjusted and made to work. I don't want to spend the money on the remote start if after I do more mods it won't work.

Last edited by nvrstsfd23; 12-07-2004 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How do you bypass having to push in the clutch to start the car with a remote start.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSactionLs1
I install remote start systems very often. First, even with the Ebrake up the car will NOT die. It will slowly roll the car untill something bad happens. Second, all can be avoided if you hook up a neutral safety switch which our cars do have. You can just leave it in Neutral and not have to worry about it.
The neutral saftey switch in our cars is on the clutch pedal. and the way it works is the clutch pedal has to be pushed in for the car to start. there is no switch or sensor in our cars that can detect if the car is actually in gear.
Isn't there a remote start that only engages the starter for as long as you hold the botton down? This would solve all your problems if you see the car start to lurch forward you just take your finger off the button. And if you have it in a high gear the car will stall out and not lurch forward.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so how do you get around not pushing the clutch in with a remote start. Is there a bypass for it or something.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by SSactionLs1
I install remote start systems very often. First, even with the Ebrake up the car will NOT die. It will slowly roll the car untill something bad happens.
This will only happen on cheap (or improperly installed) remote starters that don't have the tach connection that tells it that the engine isn't started. A properly installed DEI remote start will lurch forward at most a couple of INCHES if used on an M6 in gear with the parking brake on. The remote start "brain" reads that the RPMs haven't reached the proper level after a couple of seconds of cranking and it gives up trying to start the car.

I had one on my 95 Z28 M6 and I accidentally tried starting a number of times with it in gear (parking brake on) - the car never moved. It just rocked a bit and gave up trying to start. If your parking brake can't hold against the starter motor then it needs to be adjusted.