Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Door speaker replacement question...

Old 08-17-2004, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Door speaker replacement question...

I'm about to install some Vifa's or CDT 6.5/7" speakers in the doors of a 2001 camaro. The entire audio system is being replaced.
1) I haven't dug into the door yet and I'm wondering if I will need a foam baffle to keep water away from the back of the driver:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...60-788&scqty=1
2) Also, will I likely need a MDF spacer?
3) I will be adding damping material as well. Sould I retain the existing plastic water shield or would a complete application of adhesive vinyl damping work in lieu of the water sheild?

Thanks for any response.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:32 PM
Launching!

I dont know about 2 or 3 on your list but on my 01 ta I had to modify existing basket to get my alpine 176-a speakers to fit then added the foam speaker baffle a month later it made a big difference in sound for the better.got the 4 inch one not the 3 from crutchfield.good luck
Old 08-18-2004, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info. Looks like to XTC baffle is the way to go.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just completed this project last weekend. Unfortunately my foam baffles didn't arrive until yesterday Note that the baffles are back ordered at parts express. At any rate, I made a new mdf baffle and added an additional screw for more support. I documented the whole thing here:

http://www.anycities.com/user/trplto...omponents.html

I did the write up in excel for ease of editing. Just right click and save target on the word "components" if you want to see a step by step process.

Russell
Old 08-18-2004, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Awesome write-up! Thanks Russell!!!
Did you get your foam baffles installed? I ordered mine through Crutchfield - I saw Partsexpress was on backorder. I'm getting the 6.5" x 3.25" deep ones from Crutchfield. They should be deep enough for my Vifas. I'm wondering though... could you estimate the distance from the speaker mounting surface of the .5" THK MDF baffle to the glass when the window is rolled down? I've heard that the XTC baffles will audibly slap anything in close proximity under high volumes.
Thanks again!
Curtis
Old 08-18-2004, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Curtis,

I haven't installed the baffles yet as I just got them yesterday. A note though, don't install the complete baffle. Cut it so that it resembles the stock baffle. I.E. cut out the bottom half of the "basket". It's just there for water protection, not to act as an enclosure. You are sound deadening the door right? If so, you will really hurt the sound by installing the XTC baffle in it's entirety as the mid will have a very small airspace to work in.

Hope that helps some. I'll post some pics when I get the baffles installed to show you what I mean.

Russell
Old 08-18-2004, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Will do... It seems to me that a foam baffle wouldn't behave much like a rigid enclosure and kind of expand and contract with the diaphragm, but I understand its purpose here: a water barrier. I'll be sure to give it a good area to breath on the underside. The Vifa I'm installing has a Qts of .66 and was chosen for the infinite baffle-ish environment of the F-body door.

Thanks again!
Old 08-19-2004, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No problem!

That Vifa is a good choice. Who did you get to design the XO or are you designing it yourself?

Regarding the foam baffle. If installed as is, it will certainly behave like a rigid enclosure. True that it will expand and contract, but only to an extent and the volume of air in the enclosure at maximum expansion is the most air the driver will ever see. Also, with the yo-yo behavior of the foam baffle, you'll see all kinds of strange back waves hitting the driver. It's very important to cut out the back side of the foam baffle. They work okay if you have a small volume driver and don't want to mess with fabbing up an enclosure, but with our doors and an IB driver you are much better off cutting the foam baffle up.

I still haven't got mine installed yet It's on the list for this evening.

Russell
Old 08-19-2004, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

I'll be sure to slice it up good then. Let me know how your baffle install goes! It will be interesting to see if you notice any difference in response or quality.
I'll be using an active digital bandpass crossover built into the eclipse 8053 for the Vifa's. They'll each get a channel off a zapco ref 360.

Search this Thread