Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stock Trans Am alarm/keyless entry help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Trans Am alarm/keyless entry help!

Well ever since my wife's TA got the long tubes put on, and they disconnected the battery terminal, the factory keyless entry is all messed up. I switched it back to the factory #5 setting, so it just honks the horn twice and flashes the parking lamps. Right now we are having an issue with the headlight motor being stripped, so the motor makes that nasty noise after the headlight is down. But after we use the headlights, and then we use the alarm, it goes to the different setting where it opens and shuts the headlights and honks the horns. If you don't use the headlights all day, the alarm keeps the #5 setting that we like, but as soon as the headlights are used, it messes up the alarm.

Any ideas what could be going on? Thanks for any help!
Old 08-24-2004, 04:57 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

That is probably not a problem with the alarm. The alarm system is designed to make sure the headlights are closed when arming. When you have a stripped gear in the motor the alarm system doesn't get the correct resistance when checking that the headlights are closed so it opens and closes them to make sure. Fixing the stripped gear will take care of the problem.

BTW, there is no setting you can program on the alarm that will make it open the headlights. Your settings aren't being changed - it's just the alarm over-reacting to the headlight gear problem.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:46 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Yup, what WhiteBird00 said.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I figured it had to do with the stupid gear screwing things up. I will get on this asap!